Engine shuts off after a few seconds - Mazda 626 '91

Hello,

My buddy's wife has a Mazda 626 (I think it's a 91 or 92) that unfortunately has a very strange problem. They were driving it home the other night and the engine just cut off. When they try to start it now, it will stay on for

2 or so seconds, and then cut off. Sometimes he can give it some throttle and it will stay on for longer. It doesn't *try* to stay on, it just cuts off immediately. He's replaced a few things on it, including distributor cap, some vacuums, but I don't have a list of what all he's done unfortunately. A local shop didn't even know what to do with it after diagnostics. He can get code signals from the ECM (says it's regarding throttle - but he says it might be because he pulled a sensor earlier and it hasn't reset), so we know the computer works somewhat, but I'm not sure if the ECMs can have 90% functionalitiy working and 10% broken to them.. not sure how they work. Anyway, he's a mechanic for Ryder, so he knows a fair bit, but the Mazda line of cars is a bit foreign to him (he's a Jeep/domestic kind of guy). Any ideas on what might be cutting off the engine would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Dustin Travis

Reply to
Dustin Travis

Is the local shop, a Mazda authorized service center? If not, I would get the car in so the "experts" can diagnose.

Good luck.

unfortunately

Reply to
FearTurtle 2

[...]

Natalie and Stuart Reason

He has a bad Throttle postion sensor or bad vaf, check to make sure everything is pluggedd in, check all vacuum hoses and intake piping for leaks,etc... I am assuming it has good spark and fuel correct?

[...]

Bryan

Thank you. I will let him know of what you said. I believe he's replaced the MAF sensor, and even got another vaf with sensor for replacement, but that didn't work either. I know he's checked the hoses.. I believe he found one that was either off or cracked (can't remember) but that didn't resolve the problem. *Sigh*

unfortunately

Reply to
Dustin

Some info: Actually they don't have MAFs, those didn't come around on 626's until 1993, it only has a VAF, vain airflow meter. Same engine is in Mazda Mx6's and Ford probe's of the same year.

Reply to
Bryan

Well that's good to know. :-) Thank you.

Reply to
Dustin

Could also be a failing fuel pump.

unfortunately