Alternator Borked?? was Ford Granada

Hi all
Hope you can help with this
Re: Granada 2.9 V6
Below is my original post from yesterday and the replies it got.
Started the car this morning expecting to hear more screams and howls.......
and nothing, not a squeak. I had the belts tightened thinking that would be the end if it, and drove to work.
Driving home tonight every thing was fine. Until it got dark.....no I'm not kidding you! The darker it got the more the squealing kicked in.
A note to the guys who replied to the first post - I'm not saying it's not the alternator bearings (because I don't have a clue about these things) but I find it strange that a knackered bearing could be an intermittent fault and one that seems somehow linked to air temp & moisture.
Anyone have other options to consider?? As I assume replacing the alternator isn't a cheap job.
Thanks
Tim
OP -
Drove to work this morning and all was well
Driving home it was colder (think that might have some bearing) and the alternator belt was screaming like a banshee, slipping almost continuously :-( boy did I feel cool !!!
Belts about 6 months old, did it up as tight as I could at the time but I guess it could be tighter, but hasn't been slipping like this before, just the occasional squeak. Any hints and tips really appreciated as ear defenders are pricey !!!!
TIA
Tim

Took it into a garage and had the car up on a lift.
Tightened the belt right up and not a squeak for the last few days
I guess when a friend and I tightened the belt before that we just couldn't get enough leverage on the alternator, we were doing this with the car just parked on the drive.
One thing I just don't understand though is the fact that it wouldn't make a sound in the mornings and would screech all the way home in the evening??? an alternator belt that's afraid of the dark???
Anyway, thank you all for your time and effort, it's a great little NG you've got going here
Tim