Aluminum Oil Pan Ford Escape

Page 1 of 2
Since the oil pan is aluminum, is there any certain extra care needed when re- tightneing the oil pan bolt? Eventually I will probably change oil myself only for the convenience of doing it when I want it
done.

foctard its called a torque wrench
foctard
lmfao wanna beeeeeeeee
hurc ast

This was a valid question.
You don't need to insult others if you choose to answer. In fact, the person you are really insulting is yourself.
Jeff
All this brings up a good point that if you have an aluminum oil pan, you damn well better have the oil changed by someone who knows waht they are doing. I have heard some real horror stories coming from people who have gone to Jiffy Lube.

I have yet to see a mechanic using a torque wrench on a oil plug...Is anyone here using a torque wrench for this?

I too have never seen one use a torque wrench. I think a bit of caution should be used because most aluminum alloys have about 1/3 the strength of steel. One of my collegues mentioned that the clowns at Jiffy lube screwed up his son's Mustang by either over tightening or cross threading the plug. Jiffy Lube didn't want to take responsibility. He had to fight them to get restitution.

fuck boys aluminum has been used in oil pads gor years
ya focktards time to step into 2005 fock now ya tards wanna get out yer torque wrenches lmfao u go girls
hurc ast
What cars have used aluminum for oil pans for years? I have never owned one before the Escape. I have owned most GM cars in the past and now I have Fords. As far as I know, the GM cars all had steel or cast iron engine parts. Actually my 85 cutlass had an aluminum intake manifold, I think.
I remember the 74 Vega had an aluminum engine and was a lot of trouble.
A friend of mine showed me a piston from a Olds cutlass 403 in^3 and it appears to be an aluminum alloy.
Aluminum has a wt density of .098 lb/in^3 and steel is .286 lb/in^3. There is a definite mass advantage ot having a lighter piston, but the modulus of elasticity for steel (or cast iron) is 30x10^6 psi as opposed ot 10x10^6 psi for aluminum. The stiffness to mass ratio for steel is the same as that of aluminum, but the strength of hardened (and tempered) steel is way greater than that of aluminum.
I guess it has been decide by auto manufacturers that stiffness and strength is not important and mass is important?
How long will an aluminum engine last as oppised to cast iron.
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:20:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@simms.com wrote:

you reallt are retarded race engines are aluminum as well as some old v6 from the 50s
old technology
hurc ast
Hurc: You really suck. Your identity will eventually be discovered and you will be pounded by everyone in this newsgroup. It is inevitable.
You are a shitty dog.
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 02:59:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@simms.com wrote:

Why do you let someone of no consequence control you?
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 03:41:20 GMT, aarcuda69062

He/She/It doesn't control me. I would like to expose the person for everyones benefit.
I wonder what people l like HURC AST did before the internet was invented? Sick people. What a shame.

That happened a number of years ago.

He probably scribbled (or dribbled) on the bathroom wall.
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 03:41:20 GMT, aarcuda69062

i made neil look like a fool long ago look how quiet he now is
hurc ast
snipped-for-privacy@simms.com wrote:

The only person you make to look like a fool is yourself.

You're just a blow hard tire buster, hardly worth any effort.
But you already know that, don't you Bozo?
Sure race engines are aluminum, but they are not built to go 300k miles.
Keep it up Hurc, we will figure out who you really are.
Better yet, why don't you give us your real email adress and we can send you Christmas cards during the holidays. Wouldn't that be nice?
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 02:59:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@simms.com wrote:

lmfao just come to uni ford in calgary
hurc ast
I am quite sure that this idiot does not work for ford, because if they found out how bad he flamed them, he would be fired on the spot. it would be nice though to find out if he did, and if so, to send his boss every derogatory remark he has made about fords, then watch him try to weasel his way out of that can of worms

Maybe we should forward some of these messages to http://www.gotford.com/contact.php
Bill

If you wish to call someone "retarded" you should learn to spell "really."

The Ford Pinto was alluminum (the block only). The Ford Probe and the Taurus SHO engines were also aluminum. Some other engines made for Ford by Asian car makers were also aluminum.

Actually, somoe of the technology that went into making the Duratec, like better alloys and better machining is quite new.
Jeff