antilock kicks in just before stop and I'm NOT skidding

I have a problem on a Ford Explorer Sport Trak 2001 where about 1 out of 10 stops, I get almost to a complete stop and the antilock kicks in and I drift another foot or two and then can top
on that. Its scary as hell. There is 90K on the truck. I just changed the master cylinder, booster, front pads, and have bled the lines although I need to bleed them again I think. Am I to think its a sensor, or is a module at fault perhaps? I have no warning lamps lighting.
ed wrote:

If ABS is kicking in, the system thinks at least one wheel is stopped:
1. Are you absolutely positive that there isn't one tire with bad tread or grease on it or something?
2. Are the brakes adjusted properly, shoes and rotors in good condition - one wheel coming on harder than the rest could cause this symptom. (did you recently replace one slave cylinder?)
3. failing 1 and 2, wheel sensor.

I had what sounds like the same thing with my 96 windstar a while back. It makes kind of a ratcheting noise just as you are about to come to a stop? It was a sensor on one of the wheels. Kind of pricey to replace as I recall, maybe not so much if you DIY.
Tom
Thanks. Not sure what makes ABS think. I defintely have no locking or slipping wheels. I am on dry clean pavement. I know what true ABS kick-in feels like, and this is a weak version of that. I'm in the process of re-bleeding the system, but I have some very stubborn bleeder screws stripping off on me so I have to remedy that before I can bleed this whole thing properly. The problem existed before this though which it was started this entire project. I have half worn shoes on the back which arent in need or replacment just yet, but with this thing being like it is, I may change them anyway. One good thing is the vehicle is still drivable but its scary when this 1 out of 10 event occurs.

Yes that sure sounds like the same thing. Dry pavement. Not every time. Just the last few feet as you are coming to a stop. I more heard than felt it.
Having thought about it some more...it was one of the rear ABS sensors. It was corroded badly. I don't know if you can clean them up. I doubt it. Electronic stuff... I really don't work on my cars much anymore, but I do like to know how they work.
Tom

It has to be a bad wheel speed sensor it thinks one wheel is locked up when its not so it activates the abs. It happens at low speeds only because it is only slightly misreading maybe off by a few miles an hour or so. If you take it to a pro you might get them to hook it up to an abs computer yes there is a special one just for the abs and they can tell you what wheel is the culprit. It might cost you $50 bucks for them to scan it.
GOOD LUCK! Ed
Tom Duller wrote:

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 02:22:30 GMT, "ed"

If you are ever unsure about your braking system, have it professionally checked.
As for ABS engaging before skidding, well it suppose to prevent skidding, so maybe it's working? :p
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
I am stopping on dry pavement. One thing notable is the brakes pump up fine before I move (in gear). The rear brake shoes are worn, but adjusted up ok. I'll drop a grand on a pro when I have exhausted all other options else I wouldnt be on here. Right now I'm feeding the local parts store so there's no free ride going on and I'm learning my vehicle which I wouldnt do if I threw money at a supposed pro.

Try to remove the ABS fuse and see if it goes away.If it does then it is your problem.If not it could be a suspension part,maybe a ball joint. Definitely put the fuse back in for safety concerns after test.

Very good idea! I should have tried that.
Actually, I probably would have left the fuse out...I don't have any use for ABS. I know how to drive. I live in Wisconsin and in normal winter driving on back roads it never comes on. The only time the ABS kicks in is if I slam on the brakes on ice just to see if it really works. Doesn't really slow me down any better but I suppose it might prevent a skid. Otherwise, I look ahead and stop smoothly like I was taught as a kid. A long time ago...
Tom

hmmm. thanks. I did have a broken sway bar bolt which I changed while I was under there. I noticed it while bleeding brake lines.
Now if the ABS sensors have connectors on them, I can yank 1 at a time until the problem goes also, you'd think. It is a borderline failure, whatever it is.
I havent ruled out the pro yet, but in my area it is a term used loosely.

The ABS light will come on and the system will not work at all if it detects a problem such as a sensor being disconnected. In other words.... your plan won't work, unplugging the bad sensor will have the same result as unplugging a good sensor. Bob
thx. Makes sense.If I can see these sensors under there, I'll at least visually inspect them. I dont know if they are magnetic or optical or what?