Basic Question

Hi, i've been asked what seems like a silly question but is quite confusing.
What me an my mate are wanting to know is the registered date and manufactured date of the car the same?
For example, a Ford Ka, registered as new is Oct 2003, however it is the same model etc as the Ka in 1996.
Reason we're asking this is because the insurance is due and some companies are asking the year the car was made. The car could have been made in 1996, however not registered with a registration within the UK until 2003, is this correct, or is it bad wording from the online insurance company?
Any answers would be appreciated9
What they want is the build date. It can be found on the drivers door post sticker, at least that is where it is located on US models.
mike hunt