Daft Question, but what does.......

Silly question this, what does DERV stand for????

I know it is commercial road diesel. does it stand for anything??

-- Dan Allen Events Sec:- Home Counties Land Rover Club Webmaster:- Enfield Scout Sailing Association Webmaster:- Hoddesdon Radio Club Ham Call sign:- M1ETN, M3ETN Email:- snipped-for-privacy@nospam.valvesunlimited.demon.co.uk Web Site:-

Radio Club:-
Counties Landrover Club:-
Enfield Scout Sailing Association:-
Radio Address:- M1ETN@GB7TUT.#32.GBR.EU * Nothing is illegal until you get caught*Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE:

Dan Allen

Diesel Engined Road Vehicle.

HTH, TTFN.

Reply to
QrizB

Twas Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:12:03 +0000 when Dan Allen put finger to keyboard producing:

Diesel Expensive for Road Vehicles.

or something like that.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Diesel Engined Road Vehicle

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Never thought about this before but apparently DERV is a noun (name) for diesel fuel. It's not an acronym for anything.

Unless anyone knows better that is .......

Reply to
Bob

That's what I thought, thanks to the ppl who replied.

What made me ask was in a spec for the fuel used in a road going diesel engine, it was stated

Use COMMERCIAL ROAD DIESEL - DERV.

So it makes sense it could mean Diesel Engined Road Vehicle, but then when used in the above it could just mean diesel:-)

Isn't english funny

-- Dan Allen Events Sec:- Home Counties Land Rover Club Webmaster:- Enfield Scout Sailing Association Webmaster:- Hoddesdon Radio Club Ham Call sign:- M1ETN, M3ETN Email:- snipped-for-privacy@nospam.valvesunlimited.demon.co.uk Web Site:-

Radio Club:-
Counties Landrover Club:-
Enfield Scout Sailing Association:-
Radio Address:- M1ETN@GB7TUT.#32.GBR.EU * Nothing is illegal until you get caught*Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE:
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:30:59 +0000 (UTC), "Bob" spilled forth with the follow words of wisdom:

Reply to
Dan Allen

So basically they're telling you not to run the engine on cooking oil, heating oil, chip fat, rape seed oil, sunflower oil, gas/diesel combo etc,

Bet modern diesel engine manuals don't tell you to put a gallon of petrol in a tank of diesel in the winter if you have waxing problems no more either then?? or even tell you that the engine will run on upto 20% petrol if filled by mistake, prolly the new HDI engines can't tolerate anything but the pukka thing i guess, they're fussy as hell about anything other than diesel getting to the injection pump nowadays.

eeehh, when i was a lad you could run a diesel on potato juice and if you were really pushed, you could get a mate to pee in the tank if they'd had a few pints of Guinness, and it'd get you home :)

Reply to
CampinGazz

I had heard up to 50% in an emergency?

Reply to
David French

Dont try that with a Td6, it'd work out pretty expensive!

Reply to
SimonJ

Due to an accidental filling with petrol earlier this year and the inability to syphon out any significant amount my experience is:

90% it runs but very very badly 75% it runs badly 50% almost normal 30% don't really notice the difference

-- Keith (London, UK) Land Rover Discovery 300TDI

Reply to
Keith

A colleague filling his Volvo diesel from almost empty with petrol and it did run, but really badly. The advice from the dealer was

a) pay us a fortune to drain the tank for you and do a service

b) as it's a lease vehicle, bung as much diesel in it as you can and then run it for a bit. Repeat until car runs vaguely OK (which turned out to be about half and half mix). Then run the car to almost empty and fill with diesel.

The only tricky bit was working out the difference between running well and running badly - it was a crap engine in a crap car... (V40).

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Bob"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Obviously 'RED' diesel stands for Reduced Excise Duty then

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair

LOL. Does anyone know if AVGAS is still green?

Reply to
QrizB

Not always (are you talking about J4, J8 of even F44?) - but its great for lighting BBQs!

Reply to
pl.white

On or around Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:22:46 -0000, "pl.white" enlightened us thusly:

AVGAS is high-octane stuff, innit. though I daresay there are different grades.

AVTUR is the latest military buzz-name for kerosene, short for aviation turbine fuel, and you can in theory run yer diesel engine on it - ISTR this is one of the reasons why the military went over exclusively to diesels.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

All basically the same stuff - J4/J8 are the NATO terms: J4 is standard AvGas, J8 is marinised (with a higher flashpoint to make it safer on ships and has some anti salting agents I think) whilst I cheated and put F44 is as well: It is J8 under the UKAF title (F44 being the flash point temp).

I only know this because I was trying to source J8/F44 in the far east not too long ago and they wouldn't/couldn't supply the right stuff........

Reply to
pl.white