Battery cables corroding

A generic question - I just put in a new battery in the Foad about a year ago and the cables were original, but shiney and no corrosion. I had trouble starting it this week and saw that both + and - cables were highly corroded from the battery and at least 3-4 inched under the insulation. I was able to clean it up enough to keep it going until I have time to swap them out.
Battery top and posts were all clean and not a bit of acid. I put some baking soda on it and no bubbling, etc. Any ideas what might be causing that corrosion on the cables?
Thankye right kindly in add vance.
Bob
GuvBob wrote:

and the cables were original, but shiney and no corrosion. I had trouble starting it this week and saw that both + and - cables were highly corroded from the battery and at least 3-4 inched under the insulation. I was able to clean it up enough to keep it going until I have time to swap them out.

soda on it and no bubbling, etc. Any ideas what might be causing that corrosion on the cables?

I have never had a problem with corrosion. I keep a 2 litre bottle of coca cola in the garage. Once a week when washing my truck, I pour coke over the battery. After 15 minutes I rinse with water.....
Been doing this for years, never any corrosion...

Thanks, I'm trying to do this, but the lovely wife is drinking all the Co-Coler.