check engine soon light

Hey what can I check before I take my car in to the dealer . The check engine soon light has come on and won't go out. I have a 2001 ford escort se
?
The only thing you can check yourself is the gas cap. If you find it loose, tighten and wait a few drive cycles for the light to go away. Otherwise you need the trouble codes read and the problem troubleshoot. Any competent shop can do that; it doesn't have to be the dealer.

se
Many auto parts stores now will scan your codes for free. AutoZone does, for sure. After you get the code/codes, you'll know what's setting the light. Come back and give us the code/codes
CJB

se