comparison question

Page 1 of 2
Hi there, I'm in the process of shopping around for a new vehicle...finally had enough of my 2000 Jeep TJ. So far, I test drove the 2005 Mazda Tribute GX-V6, at roughly
$29000CAD, and the 2005 Ford Escape XLS at $30200CAD. I really liked the take-off and road handling on the Mazda, and the Ford had a good road handling. Both seem to have the same Fuel economy. As for cosmetics, I preferred the layout of the console in the Mazda. So far, from what I've read, Mazda has a better warranty, and it somewhat a little less expensive, which I still have to negotiate price with the dealer. as for servicing, I have no idea what to expect from the local Mazda dealer, and the local Ford dealer has a new owner for the past 3 years or so, and from what people say, they aren't impressed with the service...this came from the ex-service manager from the Ford dealership...so that's a selling point for me. My father, good heart, but insists I check out another Ford dealership, and has been a Ford man since I can remember. He called a dealer in a small village about 1 hour away (in the middle of nowhere), and was told that I can get an XLT for $32000, and my father says that I'd be able to get an XLS for $25000....that's fine and dandy, but if they are the same, I think I'd prefer the Madza V6 with the above mentioned pros towards Mazda, and the fact that if I have problems with the Ford, and I'd bring it to the local dealer, what kind of service can I expect if i don't buy it from them. So all this to say that I'm a little torn, and am wondering if I'm missing some things to look for as a comparison...1 thing I forgot to ask each dealership was on "loaners" if I need servicing, seeing that it's imperative that I need a vehicle for work. So far, the Mazda seems like the logical choice, but still have to see what each dealer will give me on my trade-in. If anyone has any ideas what else I can look for, please let me know. thanks
I would like to impart the benefit of my experience. if I may. When I was still in retail we owned many dealerships. Twenty six on the east cost and sold both Mazda and Ford among them. Better make sure both vehicles are equipped the same. The Escape was always much less than the Mazda, at least here in the US, when similarly equipped. Another thing you should get before you decide is a TOTAL DELIVERED price, not just the selling price. The difference in finance terms and fees from dealer to dealer can be substantial, even when the selling price is the same. In other words how much does you check need to be for each deal, or what is the difference in the total of your payments over the term of the loan for each. If the dealer will only give you a selling price and not the total delivered price, walk away The Mazda warranty is 4/50, Ford is 3/36. Both vehicles are built on the same Ford assembly line, the ONLY difference in the two is cosmetic, nothing should be different in the way they perform
mike hunt
Shazam wrote:

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:49:38 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Hmmm..... wonder why people keep buying Jap products.

Because their actual better quality of 15 years ago is still believed to be true. A friend of mine keeps buying used "imports" that are checked by his mechanic and are in "great shape" and then invariably he has to sink $1000 in them within 6 months. I buy American gvt surplus vehicles and drive them for 2 years and don't put that much in them, plus I pay half what he pays to buy them. Old myths die hard.
In 2001 I bought a 1992 Ford Tempo, with a V6 and 52K on the clock, for my one grandson when he turned sixteen. A year later the engine in one of his older sisters Carolla died with 98K on the clock so he gave her the Tempo with 61K on the clock. He wented a Civic. Personally I only buy cars made in the US by an American company and would not buy him the Civic. He bought himself a 1996 Covic with 78K on the clock. He paid $2,000 more than the current NADA retail. Today the Tempo is still running fine with 105K on the clock. The Civic has 110K on the clock. The only difference is the Tempo has never broken down and the Civic had the transmission replace for $3,000, at 89K and the half shafts were replaced shortly thereafter and now the head gasket is leaking. So much for superior Japanese quality it seems ;)
mike hunt
Ashton Crusher wrote:

thanks for the opinions. I used to have a 1992 Ford Festiva, and when I lost my job, my brother bought it from me...pretty much just took over the payments, and it's on it's last days, but my bro said that he wished he could get another one. When I had it, I enjoyed it...the fuel economy was awesome.
The guy that I mentioned about, the ex-service manager from the local Ford dealership said that he was disaapointed with the way domestic vehicles are made nowadays, and that's why he doesn't work at the dealership anymore....his concience got to him, and now will only drive imports....
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:27:57 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ptdprolog.net wrote:

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:40:46 -0500, Shazam wrote:

Two possibilities... a) He got fired from the Ford dealership. b) The Suzuki dealership was desperate and made him a better offer.
Nice cover story though. It makes him sound noble and insightful.
Rodney
-
Either that or he could not make the grade required to work on today sophisticated vehicles. A top notch ford tech today, with electronics experience, can easily earn in the six digits in some markets.
mike hunt
Rodney wrote:

I have bought many cars and trucks in my years. Toyota has been the best. I last bought was a new 01 Dakota that still doesn't have the right oil dipstick and the dealer/factory couldn't figure it out so I just filed a make on the high side and low side, radio is shot, needed brakes,needs tires and a few other minor problems. It now has 33K miles on it.
Two days before I bought the Dakota, I bought my wife a new 01 Hyundai Sante Fe. To date I had to take it in for a "crank positioning sensor" replacement that took about an hour, that is all. It has 56K miles and still has the original tires and looks as if I may get another 15K out of them.
I read yesterday that Hyundai was picked as the "best bet" for overall safety, value, dependability and etc.
Hank <~~~gonna try a chevy truck next

They are both American trucks.
Jeff

run away from ford
hurc ast
What would you buy? You tell him not to buy a Ford.... therefore, there is something that you feel he should buy instead...

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 02:09:37 GMT, "Jim Warman"

of course within the same price range with the same options
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:11:03 -0500, Some ga wrote:

Maybe one of those fine Canada-based auto manufacturers?
Rodney
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 02:09:37 GMT, "Jim Warman"

pretty much every other car maker has a car that gives thought to repair
as well as warrenty i want a car that goes over 100000km before the engine fails tell me jim can u gurantee a ford will get 100,000 km out of any of there engines ?
yup like the 3.8 a accident waiting to happen and they still SOLD IT
how about a popped plug out of v8 or v10??
and there is no problem according to ford how many heads have you had to replace oh yea ford lmfao junk
hurc ast
3 dog snipped-for-privacy@swatch.com wrote:

As a warranty company, I would warranty any 3.0 Vulcan to 150K MILES +, I would never warranty a GM 2.8/3.1/3.4 or a 4.3 to Even 75K miles. The Vulcan V-6 is better than any GM V-6 in TBO / reliability perspective. A lot of it has to do with GM's use of DexCool, though, which is a disaster as far as we have seen. Don't even get me started on the D-C V-6's or the Saturn LS / Catera V-6. What a service headache.
It's too bad the Vulcan is being retired... but the Duratech is proving to be quite reliable too.
Rob
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:46:17 -0500, trainfan1

i worked for dodge for 3 years they have one of the better warrenties there trannys suck but they cover them they even coverd pistons and head gaskets in neons with hi milage the best part you throw the old parts in garbage u dont send them back just my experience
hurc ast
Can we assume you never heard of Toyotas problem with engine sludge or Hondas tranny failures? ;)
mike hunt
3, dog, snipped-for-privacy@swatch.com wrote:

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:14:59 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

lmfao u can assume that a honda will get at least 100k before the engine fails
hurc ast
You can assume all you want, but our Honda had major engine failure at around 60k. Worn out cam lobes. Explain that one. Yet our contour has 80k and have not yet put a dime into any repairs yet. Duratec........great engine. Not that I'm knocking Hondas, but I'll never buy another one.