Decoding VIN 4th position problem

Page 2 of 2

Ford made three types of trucks as far as this 4th position of the VIN is concerned: trucks without air bags, trucks with driver and passenger airbags, and trucks with passenger, driver and side curtain airbags. Your made-in-Kentucky 6.8 litre V-10 F250 has airbags, but not side curtain airbags. So only the values in the "Light Trucks & MPVs with Driver & Passenger Air Bags" column applies to your truck.
How do I know all this about your pickup?
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/default.asp
Jeff
If I understand it well, I can not decode the VIN with the VIN Guide data (https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/pdfs / VIN2001.pdf.), and have to use Ford online VIN Decoder. Am I correct in this? This guide seems to be useless.

The guide is fine. Look at the top of the columns for the 4th digit. One is for no air bags, one is for driver and passenger front airbags, and one is for driver and passenger front and side-curtain air bags. You need to know what kind of air bags you have in the truck so you can look in the right column for the VIN code.
You also have more than one table for some of the VIN positions. You have to look at the titles of these tables to make sure you have the right table.
The guide is fine. You just have to be careful.
The VIN decoder web page basically reads the table for you.
Jeff
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Thinking of this situation, I want to buy a used car, and get this car's VIN. I want to retrieve the car's info against the VIN Guide data by VIN only.
I said the VIN Guide data is useless because if I use Ford online VIN Decoder, I only input VIN, no restraint info(airbags or not) is needed. I feel that Ford hides some data behind this VIN Guide data.

Well, look at the original invoice. That should tell you about the restraint data.
Other information is missing, too, like whether or not there is a sunroof, what kind of radio and whether or not the brakes are anti-lock.
The VIN system is to provide some basic info, like body style and engine info, and provide a unique code for each vehicle. It is not intended to provide every single bit of info about the vehicle.
Jeff
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item30048125091
For more info...
Rob

nstead of reading the VIN guides, just enter the compete VIN at https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/default.asp
VIN ResultsNew Search VIN: 1FTNX21S51ED85640
World Manufacturer Identifier - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Positions VIN Code:1FT Assembly Country:USA Make:Ford Body Style:Pickup Restraint System Type (Passenger Cars) or Brake Type and GVWR Class (Trucks and Vans) - 4th Position VIN Code:N Brake System:HYDRAULIC GVWR Class: GVWR Range:8,501 - 9,000 Pounds Line,Series Body Type - 5th, 6th, 7th Positions VIN Code:X21 Vehicle Line:F-250 Series:Styleside Body Type:SUPER Vehicle Type:Truck/SUV Engine Type - 8th Position VIN Code:S Engine:6.8 L Cylinders:10 Fuel:Gasoline Model Year - 10th Position VIN Code:1 Model Year:2001 Assembly Plant - 11th Position VIN Code:E Assembly Plant:KENTUCKY TRUCK: JEFFERSON COUNTY, KY Production Sequence Number - 12th - 17th VIN Code:D85640 Prod Sequence NumberD85640
did you try VIN checker at http://www.autobaza.pl/ab/en/web/productaa0100
On 22 Lut, 18:55, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gazeta.pl wrote:

That is quite out of date. It doesn't recognize newer model vehicles. I sent a full breakdown of a the affected VINs to the email noted at least three years ago.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/default.asp decodes the newer VINs.
--
---