Decoding VIN 4th position problem

I have tried to decode the 4th position letter in 1FTNX21S51ED85640 against 'VIN CODE, 4TH POSITION-RESTRAINT SYSTEM FOR TRUCKS ONLY' table in

problem is that there are two 'N' in the table. I wonder which oneI am going to choose. The letter is supposed to be unique in thistable. Anybody has any idea? I also found letters 'T', 'U', 'V', 'W', 'X', 'M', 'P' exist twice. This table really confuses me.

Reply to
enca939

Ummmm.... look at the top of the table.... Notice that one column is for without airbags and the next column is for with airbags???? I have no idea where any confusion would come from since all we need do is look...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yes, I have noticed the column headers. But how can I get this info(with airbags or without airbags) before I decode the VIN(1FTNX21S51ED85640)? suppose I do not have any info of the vehicle.

Reply to
enca939

Ask?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Ford made three types of trucks as far as this 4th position of the VIN is concerned: trucks without air bags, trucks with driver and passenger airbags, and trucks with passenger, driver and side curtain airbags. Your made-in-Kentucky 6.8 litre V-10 F250 has airbags, but not side curtain airbags. So only the values in the "Light Trucks & MPVs with Driver & Passenger Air Bags" column applies to your truck.

How do I know all this about your pickup?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If I understand it well, I can not decode the VIN with the VIN Guide data

and have to use Ford online VIN Decoder. Am I correctin this? This guide seems to be useless.

Reply to
enca939

The guide is fine. Look at the top of the columns for the 4th digit. One is for no air bags, one is for driver and passenger front airbags, and one is for driver and passenger front and side-curtain air bags. You need to know what kind of air bags you have in the truck so you can look in the right column for the VIN code.

You also have more than one table for some of the VIN positions. You have to look at the titles of these tables to make sure you have the right table.

The guide is fine. You just have to be careful.

The VIN decoder web page basically reads the table for you.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Thinking of this situation, I want to buy a used car, and get this car's VIN. I want to retrieve the car's info against the VIN Guide data by VIN only.

I said the VIN Guide data is useless because if I use Ford online VIN Decoder, I only input VIN, no restraint info(airbags or not) is needed. I feel that Ford hides some data behind this VIN Guide data.

Reply to
enca939

Well, look at the original invoice. That should tell you about the restraint data.

Other information is missing, too, like whether or not there is a sunroof, what kind of radio and whether or not the brakes are anti-lock.

The VIN system is to provide some basic info, like body style and engine info, and provide a unique code for each vehicle. It is not intended to provide every single bit of info about the vehicle.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If you have no info on the vehicle and you don't have the vehicle or it's owner there beside you, why would you need to decode the VIN? In cases like that, alarm bells would start to go off....

Otherwise, looking at the steering wheel pad will tell us if it has airbags or not. FWIW, OASIS reports that you haven't had the speed control recall performed yet.... tsk, tsk, tsk....

Reply to
Jim Warman

For more info...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I agree with you. But I am still wondering how Ford interprets the VIN without asking for restraint data.

Reply to
enca939

The code for the 5th, 6th and 7th positions is X21. This corresponds to an F250. Ford made all of these trucks with airbags. I guess you would have to know this. But the other position that the N goes into (big truck, air brakes) is really a big truck.

The VIN decoder is meant for dealers who are buying vehicles at auction for resale.

I also noticed that there is a difference between the PDF file that I saw last night and the one today. They added the postal vehicles as well as removed some of the letters under the side airbag column. There are more engines as well.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Postal vehicles are exempted from all federal vehicle regulations. Postal vehicle do net even display a license plate.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The designated SRS of 'N' will not indicate what type of SRS may, or may not be, standard on that particular vehicle, if any. 'N' means SRS is not required on that particular type of vehicle. There is a letter for each particular type of SRS, from automatic belts up to dual SRS, but none for side air bags because side air bags are not required on any vehicle in the US under currant SRS rules.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

nstead of reading the VIN guides, just enter the compete VIN at

VIN ResultsNew Search VIN: 1FTNX21S51ED85640

World Manufacturer Identifier - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Positions VIN Code:1FT Assembly Country:USA Make:Ford Body Style:Pickup Restraint System Type (Passenger Cars) or Brake Type and GVWR Class (Trucks and Vans) - 4th Position VIN Code:N Brake System:HYDRAULIC GVWR Class: GVWR Range:8,501 - 9,000 Pounds Line,Series Body Type - 5th, 6th, 7th Positions VIN Code:X21 Vehicle Line:F-250 Series:Styleside Body Type:SUPER Vehicle Type:Truck/SUV Engine Type - 8th Position VIN Code:S Engine:6.8 L Cylinders:10 Fuel:Gasoline Model Year - 10th Position VIN Code:1 Model Year:2001 Assembly Plant - 11th Position VIN Code:E Assembly Plant:KENTUCKY TRUCK: JEFFERSON COUNTY, KY Production Sequence Number - 12th - 17th VIN Code:D85640 Prod Sequence NumberD85640

Reply to
C. E. White

Wrong. N means it is a 8501 - 9000 lb GVWR truck. You have to look at the table here:

According to Ford, the 4th position represents "Brake Type and GVWR Class (Trucks and vans Only)." For passenger cars, it represnets restraint type. It's in the PDF file too.

Reply to
Jeff

Before making an ass of yourself, you should look at the material cited. The last column in the table titled "VIN Code, 4th Position-Restraint System For Trucks Only," is called "RHD U.S. Postal Service Explorer w/o Air Bags."

I don't know or care if postal vehicles are exempt from federal vehicle regulations. That is what the column is named. If you don't think this is correct, ask Ford about it.

Have a lovely day.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Why are you so quick to make a personal attack on anybody that tries to correct misinterpretation of what was posted? What you are referring to is RH drive vehicles that are sold to private individuals that contract to the USPS, to deliver rural mail, since the vehicles sold to the USPS are exempt and are not ever licensed. Postal delivery vehicle are made by American General corp. not Ford in any event

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I didn't make a personal attack. I just suggested what would happen if you made statements without even looking at was available and cited in the message.

Listen to what you said: "RH drive vehicles that are sold to private individuals." Last I checked, private individuals are not part of the USPS, even if they contract to the USPS. The private vehicles of postal carriers where I used to live have license plates. And they were not made by American General, unless American General also makes Subarus. Ford, Mack, Jeep and Dodge also make Postal Vehicles.

But you should be complaining to Ford and not me about this. I am just reading a table they wrote in their literature for their dealers.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff