E350 swaybar bushings - remover tool nessecary?

I need to replace the stabilizer bar (sway bar) bushings on my 1999 E-350. The bushings are where the sway bar ends right at the axle - not the front
mounts. Can these be hammered out, and then the new ones knocked in? The chilton book reccomends using a bushing remover, however, I can't find a place that rents this tool. Thanks for any help on this. LJ