Escort 95 timing belt replacement

Page 2 of 2
oh yes there was.........the 1.3 derivatives were fitted to the escorts, actually these were hcs engines, (basicaly the older OHV versions) and there was no cambelt, these were chain driven, these were fitted as late as 1996.
the zetecs were introduced in 93 ( i believe) and available in both the 1.6 and 1.8 versions for the escort. the 1.3 and 1.6 CVH engine were eliminated in late 92 when the catalyst emissions test was introduced to the MOT tests. (they were incapable of passing this test) and only these engines were sometimes reffered to as "safe engines" as far as cambelt failure was concerned. the 1.9 you mention was a diesel version. available in both turbo and normally aspirated options.
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:28:28 -0000, steve wrote:

Very interesting. Escorts have had a lot more engines than I knew about. Of course, I only had one and I wasn't in any forums like this at the time, so my experience was quite limited.

Well, no. "1.9L SEFI" was clearly stamped on top of the engine in my 1991 Escort (2-dr hatchback, manual trans.). It was clearly marked "unleaded fuel only" and I always filled it with 87 octane gasoline.
I did ride in an 80's ('86 IIRC) Escort someone else owned that had a diesel engine. Independent of your statement I know they existed, but I didn't have one.
==
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:32:31 -0000, steve wrote:

:-). Interesting details nonetheless.

Ok, my old car definitely wasn't a zetec then.

That definitely wasn't what I had.
Now I'm really curious as to what was what. I know the car was a 1991. I know it had "1.9 SEFI" stamped in the metal on top of the engine (right behind where new oil would be poured in). I know it used gasoline, not diesel. I know the owner's manual and the Haynes only mentioned 1.9 and 1.8 liter options and no others. The current owner is a friend of mine, so I could look at the vehicle or the manuals and post pictures if that would be helpful in agreeing on what I had :-).
-D
--
"Don't use C; In my opinion, C is a library programming language
not an app programming language." - Owen Taylor (GTK+ developer)
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:09:48 -0000, steve wrote:

Oh, yeah. Nope, not in the UK.

Indeed. I am in upstate NY. The car I had originally came from Utah.

That explains why the set of engines you listed didn't at all match what I saw here :-). So I still don't know for sure, then, that the engine my friend has now isn't interference, but I don't think it is. I don't recall ever seeing zetec stamped on it, and you say that would have been obvious if it was.
-D
--
Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved
person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained.

Don't say things like this unless you can back it up - <some are> <some arn't> - who wants to take the chance? Bill