Escort Dashboard ???

I have a 2000 Escort zxp(?) and my heater/air blower switch seems to need some attention. My question is how do I get the oval shaped dash component out so I can replace the switch? There are 2 holes on each side of the oval
that appear to harbor some sort of fastener, what tool do I need? Anything I should watch out for? Thanks in advance!!!

oval
Radio removal tool. Available virtually any where.

need
component
Anything
To remove the radio and front panel pull off the knobs than stick 6-penny nails in each of the four small holes. Spread the nails apart while pulling out the panel.
Make sure it is Not the resistor pack located near the blower motor. This seems to be chronic on the later Escort/Contour line. fan will only work on "Hi".

oval
I appreciate all the tips, thanks. BTW, the fan only runs in the 'low' position.

need
component
Anything
My 1992 Escort only worked on 1, 2,3 not 4. Resistor pack was the culprit