Escort Security

Hi guys

I just purchased my second Ford Escort Finesse, however i am confussed by the alarm system.

With my old escort, I had to turn the key to unlock, then lock and the security system would activate. The car would be double locked and interior door releases disabled.

The new one doesn't do this, but the LED on the dash board flashes when the key is removed from the ignition switch.

I locked the car with window open and was able to open the door using the interior release, which i did successfully and the cars alarm did not sound.

I though the security system was a for factory standard fit thing, so why does my new car not have it?

Thanks

Vertuas

Reply to
Vertuas

well you didn't say what year it was, and im not sure how big of a deal a security system is in an escort, but anyway, the one im familliar with, a 98 se sport, you had to lock the doors with the remote entry keypad thing... then if you unlocked the door with the key, it would start beeping and whatnot...

i wouldn't go by that flashing led... my pos 02 ranger has a flashing led.. but it doesn't do anything

Reply to
Picasso

Sure it does... it's like a sign that says "WE HAVE 27 KILLER DOBERMANS HIDDEN UNDER THE BUILDING, IF YOU CLIMB THE FENCE THEY WILL ATTACK!".

In my 98 SE, the security system is very irritating. If you unlock just the tailgate (with the fob!), and open the tailgate, the horn and lights will start to go. If you unlock and open any door without first unlocking at least the driver's door with the fob, the horn and lights will go... etc.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Hi Picasso

My appologies for not posting the year

It is a 2000 Escort Finesse of a W plate.

The LED flashes when the ignition is switched off......I guess it is connected to the immobiliser.

Thanks

Reply to
Vertuas

I think he has a UK version of the Escort, and regarding security issues, they get stolen pretty regular in some parts of the US, they were in the top five in New Hampshire a few years ago according to State Farm insurance, that and F150s. So, yes, not as popular as stealing a Honda in New Jersey, but just as much of a problem in NH.

Reply to
sleepdog

Hi guys

Yup its a UK one.

Didn't realise there was a US one too. How much different is US one? lol

Someone posted in here about 1.9L Escort. There isn't a 1.9 in the UK, its either 1.8l or 2.0l Zetec engine.

Reply to
Vertuas

Ditto for my '03 Taurus. I don't know what the security system actually does, other than blink the dash LED. I have never done anything that set it off other than accidentally pushing the red button on the fob.

Reply to
Calvin

If the car is not equipped with a factory alarm, the LED shows the status of the PATS system. (Passive Anti Theft Security, also called Securi-Lock). IIRC, the slow steady flash indicates there is no transponder equipped key in the ignition cylinder (no key in the ignition). It kind of serves as a deterrent, also. A car thief will see the light and think twice. It "could" have an alarm. There should be an explanation of the flash patterns in the Owners Manual. You would change the flash pattern if you tried to start the car with a non-PATS key or a transponder key that the system didn't recognize. The system would lock out and the LED would, I think, stay on continuously indicating the lockout. Don't try this out of curiosity, though. Up to '01, the system had to be unlocked with the NGS or WDS at the Dealer. I don't know about later models, but I'm sure they are the same.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

You you get a red key with US model?

In the UK we get a special red key which is the master key to the system. My guess wass that the master key would unlock the immobiliser after an attempted attack

I don't beleive that my escort has any kind of alarm fitted from the factory, only the immobiliser. which i find were strange. I don't even have a remote key fob!

The older one that i had did have a perimiter alarm (open a door and it makes a noise!) and double locking (disabled interior door release levers).

I guess this newer car doesn't have these.

Reply to
Vertuas