Flywheel Installation

Is there a way to determine how to align the flywheel on installation? Ie. Where the counterweight needs to be in relation to the harmonic counterweight? or in relation to TDC on #1 or anything like that? Or am I stuck pulling the crank and sending it to a shop to determine where the counterweight needs to be?

Thank you in advance,

Mark

Reply to
wattmark

I have never seen one without a key way that makes this idiot proof, but since you didn't post the make, model, and year, we could guess you're working on a Ford tractor.

Reply to
Scott

Flywheels that need to be "timed" to the crank will invariably have a dowel or staggered mounting bolts.... These will only fit one way.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks Jim,

The flywheel is go> Flywheels that need to be "timed" to the crank will invariably have a dowel

Reply to
wattmark

Reply to
Tom

Sorry I read this wrong.

The shop didn't mark it somehow? You tried calling them?

Reply to
Scott

Isn't it funny how modifications never seem to matter... until after we might see a concern. My advice was offered without any aftermarket indications. . Now that the full story is coming in to light, I'm back pedalling for all I am worth. From here, everything is going to depend on your aftermarket supplier.

This is the kind of information that was needed in the original post but you chose to avoid mentioning the modifications.... All bets are off... My advice is not good advice because of this omission

Reply to
Jim Warman

Doesn't it almost seem like some people think the LESS information they give you the cheaper a repair will be? In this guys case I think the only person he should be asking advice from is the one that did his machine work and rebalanced his flywheel. But when he talks about a 26.2oz imbalance I have to believe he should have some one else put this package together. The most weight I've seen on an externally balanced engines flywheel is only a few ounces.

Reply to
Bob

Thanks for the flame.

The 28.2 oz imbalance is stock for the 1966 - 1982 ford windson flywheels. The 82 - 90's Mustang uses a 50 oz imbalance as stock. So perhaps if you don't know the answer to the question maybe you could ask for clarification rather than flame. It would be much more helpful to me as well as anyone else who might have a similar question.

As for including more information I did not realize that it would be helpful as the stock crank and stock flywheel are not marked or doweled either. Had I known it would have been important I would have included it in my original message. And after the amount I have spent to date on this block I am not interested in the cheapest repair - I merely thought there was something simple that I had overlooked ie. 180 degree separation between weights on the harmonic and flywheel. Since it appears that there is no simple explanation I will contact stroker manufacturer.

Thank you for tak> Doesn't it almost seem like some people think the LESS information they give

Reply to
wattmark

IIRC, you will find that the stock crank/flywheel combo has offset holes...i.e. the flywheel will only fit one way - no matter what you try.

Accept the flame in good nature.... you didn't include all the pertinent information... done deal. You couldn't even be bothered with including the engine size in your first post. If anyone is an ass, it isn't anyone that replied to you.

However, instead of asking here, would you not be further ahead to ask the people that made your crank? Would we phone Dominoes to ask how much a Ceasars pizza costs? Would we phone McDonalds to tell them that A&W burgers give us heartburn?

Would we advertise to the world that common sense is on vacation?

I do a lot of mods to a fleet of old Dodges (too many friends, too little time). If I have a cam question I can't answer, I phone Crane (supply most of our cams). If I have a crank question, I phone Eagle and, if I have head question, I phone Edelbrock (even though we spent 2 grand whipping the heads for our stroker into shape - at another shop).

So you got a stroker - who supplied the crank??? did they balance it internally or design it with stock parts in mind? You have left too many questions unanswered to even guess at what you will have....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thank you Jim,

I will try mating the flywheel and see if one (or more) of the holes is offset.

It wasn't my intention to be an ass - My apologies. And like I said earlier - I will be more than happy to call the supplier I just thought I might have been missing something simple so thought I could ask the question here.

Reply to
wattmark

You might also be able to get more specific information at a group like rec.autos.ford.mustang or something like that (I believe there is one for Ford Mustangs, though I don't know the exact name).

I wish I knew the answer to your question. All I know is that my dad used to balance engines years ago. And when he balanced an engine, I would swear that balancing the flywheel was part of it. But I only saw the set once or twice and my memory is cloudy.

Reply to
Jeff