Ford Escort electrics cut out (UK)...

Over the past week there's been literally two occasions while driving at night/evening with lights on and stereo on that the power momentarily cuts
out.
It's as if the car reverts to itself being in the first position on the ignition lock. The lights stay on, but instead of headlights, it goes to side lights (the head light indicator on the dash goes off too), the red LED next to the clock comes on for a couple of seconds, the stereo goes off for a couple of seconds, then all comes on again as normal. I noticed the oil light come on for a couple of seconds too.
It's a '94 1.6 (16v) excort L.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Is this an aftermarket sound system? Describe it.
you pay..DEAL with it!
It's a brand new Sony CDX-GT200 CD tuner I fitted myself. I purchased a Ford to ISO lead to connect it all up and all was well.
Cheers.

I was thinking about extra power draw, like maybe a 500 watt amp... but still supplied through the ign switch

you pay..DEAL with it!
The Sony head unit is 4x50w amp if that is likely to make any big difference.
Very baffling.
Cheers.

Hiya,
If it's only happening with the lights and wireless on, then figure it's the stereo, lights wiring or switch shorting momentarily or the alternater that's doing the same. Start with the cheapest option, unplug the stereo for a few days and see if it still happens.