Ford Fiesta (UK) - Clutch cable

I've owned a 96 Ford Fiesta SI for the last 5 years, over the last 9 months its snapped its clutch cable 3 times. And i'd like some advice please.
The AA (Roadside assistance) have replaced the cable twice and after the last time recommended i get the adjusting ratchet on the clutch pedal replaced (which i had replaced in October last year). This week it snapped again for the third time... A local garage i trust this time replaced the clutch cable with a ford cable and also lubricated the relevant bits and pieces (they weren't before hand). They took a good look at the clutch and tell me there are no obvious signs of damage or wear...
I'm just a little concerned that this keeps on happening, now admittedly it appears that when the AA engineer replaced the cable he didn't grease it. Other than a lack of lubricant can anyone suggest why this keeps happening, given that i'm told the clutch itself seems in good working order.
Many thanks