General torque converter question

Hello,
After a long road trip, my 1996 Ford Bronco started spewing transmission fluid from under the vehicle. The mechanic hooked the computer up, and said that the torque converter was bad. He said that
the entire transmission would have to be rebuilt ($1600), adding that "you could never find a reputable shop that would replace the torque converter without rebuilding the tranny." Is this true, or am I getting taken for a ride?
Thanks,
Will

now. So yes you should overhaul it. Did he drive it with the scan tool on it?
Thanks for the reassurance. No, he didn't drive it, just left it parked in the garage while the scanner ran...

Were you able to drive it in? You said it was leaking, from where? What I am wondering is if its just a seal that let loose or if you overheated it or .....? If it is just a leak you could fix the leak, re-fill it and see what happens.
Yes, I drove it in. It was leaking from the transmission vent.

Did it start leaking after going up a long hill? Did it stop leaking after a while? How did it drive? Shift ok? Did anyone add fluid to it recently(before the leak)?