computer location

Ive received several suggestions but still cant locate the computer on my

1988 f150 4x4 super cab
Reply to
arby

Old fart memory thing going on here... should be left (drivers side under the instrument panel) pretty much against the kick pad. The PCM would protrude into the engine compartment with the 60 pin connector attached by a bolt with a 10mm head. Look down between the booster and the fender along the firewall for the harness and connector...

Now... I have some foggy recollection that the PCM on the 85/86 MY *may* have been located in the centre of the instrument panel somewhere around the radio... My oldest manual is for a 92, so that's no help.... And I rarely get to work on older units.

FWIW, it is rare for a PCM to go bad.

Reply to
Jim Warman

If all else fails (or not) follow the huge wiring harness to the firewall.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Thanks for the come back.I will check that area.Also I have been told that they dont normally go bad, but its the next thing to check according to the mech.It will idle very high or not at all.Then runs very rich. THanks

Reply to
arby

try unplugging the MAP sensor (electrical plug)and see if it runs better, if so check carefully for a vac leak to it, if none found replace it.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman