Grinding noise when a/c is on . . .

I have a 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 XT with 11,000 miles makes a slight rumbling or a moderate grinding noise when the A/C is on, when the engine is idling. The noise
comes on and off periodically, as if from the compressor clutching in and out. I don't hear it at speed, probably because it is drowned out by normal engine noises. The cooling seems to work fine, temperature wise.
Is this normal? If not, I'll take it in, as it is still in warrantee.
Thanks, Roger

My theory is that if a car is under warranty and is doing something that doesn't seem right .... Take it in. To minimize the possible waste of time and keep the dealership feeling like you like them you might wait till its time for an oil change and bring it in for both.

While some noise is to be expected, "grinding" isn't the word I'd use to describe it. But since it is still under factory warranty, why not have it checked. Or have a 3rd party A/C shop give it a listen (hopefully for free) and see if they think the noise is indicative of a problem. If they say yes, take it back to the dealer.
Roger wrote:

did it do it when new? or are you a second owner?
" did it do it when new? or are you a second owner?" (Picasso)
I bought it new 2 years ago. The only warrantee service I had was right after I bought it. Again, it was the a/c, which didn't get cool enough. They found a loose fitting that had not been properly tightened or sealed when manufactured, and the system had lost most of the freon substitute by the time I bought it. The noise from the compressor area is fairly recent; I'd say it developed in the past few months. Roger
Roger wrote:

Just take it back to the dealer.
That is what you paid her for.
Jeff