my 93 taurus won't start

Well I just discovered that mine is a CCD TFI module and so not subject to the same specs as pretty much everything I've been reading. eg #4 wire from the bottom on the module harness is not a
12V in start wire but is instead a IDM or Ignition Diagnostic Monitor wire that goes right to the computer. That means almost everything I've been trying to do to figure out my no start condition has been wrong or useless. Frustrating!!! Anyway, 93 3.0l OHV won't start and single spark straight from the coil when I try to start it. I'm thinking PIP or maybe TFI module. It's not the coil, I'm pretty sure because now I have 2 of those and the likelihood they're both bad is pretty low. Almost identical problem was posted here for a 94 back in 2002 with no resolution. If I get this figured out, I promise I'll come back and post a solution. Any help or ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!!
Rybins wrote:

You either have spark or you don't. Put a timing light on it. Does it light when you turn over the engine or not?
If not, check the voltages at the TFI modules per the manual. If there OK, either your TFI module is bad or the coil pickup in the distributor.
I have had both a coil go bad and a TFI module in my tauri. Both disabled the car when it happened.
I would change the TFI module first and see what happens.
Bob
-

Thanks Bob! I really am getting a single spark at the coil each time I turn the ignition right off and try to start it again. Will do the timing light with it this evening. I can't use the Haynes manual I have for the voltages because it is for the old "push start" TFI module. CCD TFI module is not even addressed so I'm hoping to find pinout info and go from there. Replacing the TFI is a costly test. Any idea how to check the ignition pickup? That's a lot cheaper
Jeff

Problem solved!! The distributor gear had worn down so that the fins were razor thin and some had broken off completely. So it didn't move and didn't collapse the coil. Wouldn't have mattered anyway since the rotor wasn't anywhere near where it needed to be. Anyway, new (to me) distributor from the wreckers, complete with CCD TFI module, PIP and cap, for $30 and I'm off to the races!!
Rybins wrote:

You may want to check the oil pump or pickup tube for wear or plugging. This can cause too much drag on the oil pump drive, thus wearing the dizzy gear like you described. That distributor gear won't wear like that for no reason. That was a symptom, not THE problem.