Ok, I'm open minded

Page 1 of 4
I keep hearing how good Fords have gotten.
Ok, I'm open minded.
I WAS looking for a used Corolla with auto and AC, probably model year 98- 2001 with under $100k miles ( that I can afford ).
Are there any Fords that are AS reliable and get 30-35 REAL WORLD MPG?
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:52:17 -0600, Sarah Houston

Another option you might look into is a Pontiac Vibe that's a couple years old. My Dad has one with the base engine and gets 30 mpg around town in mixed driving. He's had no problems with it in the three years he's had it. It's essentially the same as a Toyota Matrix but looks better.

Latest generation Ford Focus. The older ones had some issues. Sometimes farther ahead to buy brand new if you can get 0% financing instead of buying used??
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:52:17 -0600, Sarah Houston

Ford Escort or Focus

Tes, the last couple years of ESCORT were also extremely reliable. My brother drives one, as do all 3 of his kids. In the last 6 years or so he's bought and sold a fair number of sedans and wagons - they are ALL driving ZX2 coupes right now.
Caesar Romano wrote:

ford focus only gets about 25mpg blended where the corolla gets around 30 blended. (automatics) the automatic escorts 2.0L get the same 25mpg...
I'd consider sticking with your corolla when you're talking about a 10 year old car, or maybe a civic (96-2000). Civics are a bit harder on fuel than the corollas, and seem to have a little less power.
I had not idea there was any car with less power than a Corolla! ;)
wrote Re Ok, I'm open minded:

Mike Hunter wrote:

Your faulty data is showing again.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

You are correct! I forget about the 4cy Camrys, that is a real dog on a grade ;)
wrote Re Ok, I'm open minded:

Mike Hunter wrote:

Don't forget the 2.4L mustangs. I had a 1987... started my love of mustangs, but ruined me on 4 cylinders ;)
All the power was gone by the time it got to the back wheels.
Perhaps, but there are still '08 and maybe some '07 at the dealerships but I doubt one could by a any '87 car today.
In any even, as you may recall, the Mustang 4cy was much more powerful, and had much more torque, than any of the similar size Jap cars back then.
wrote Re Ok, I'm open minded:

Never MADE a 2.4 'Stang. They were all, AFAIK, 2.3 liter.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes perhaps you are correct...
Was that the same as the tempo's and topaz? (Opps, did i swear in here?)
Theres a grade about 6% coming off a bridge here in town, the bridge is 70, if i could get it to 100kmph at the end of the bridge, i could hold 100 and just start to loose speed when i crested the 1KM hill.
Oh my land that car worked bad... but the comparison to the jap crap, buddy of mine had an automatic hyundai pony 1985, and i could nudge ahead of him quite a bit.

Not quite the same engine,but very close. - but the 4 cyl Ranger was the same.
Actually a pretty torquey little beast

And the Hyundai Pony wasn't Jap Crap either, it was une of the first (and worst) Korean crap.
A 1985 Hyundai Pony was perhaps one of the worst cars ever built - by ANYONE.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

they weren't sneaking around Chryslers building looking in windows when they made the Omni were they?? ;)

No comparison. the Ominous Omni and Horendous Horizon were head and shoulders above the 1985 Pony!!!! The Lada was about the only car ever sold in Canada that came close to meating it at the bottom of the pile. Even the Daicha was a much better car (Romainian? copy of the Renault R12)
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 21:10:54 -0500, "Mike Hunter"
PLENTY!!!.Ever drive a 1/3 liter Renault R12? Or an R4?

yup. and are built alot better than the toyyoda tin sardine cars are too.

Tom wrote:

The buying public thinks differently.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

Do you believe because they sell better, they must be better?