Ok, I'm open minded

I keep hearing how good Fords have gotten.

Ok, I'm open minded.

I WAS looking for a used Corolla with auto and AC, probably model year 98-

2001 with under $100k miles ( that I can afford ).

Are there any Fords that are AS reliable and get 30-35 REAL WORLD MPG?

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Another option you might look into is a Pontiac Vibe that's a couple years old. My Dad has one with the base engine and gets 30 mpg around town in mixed driving. He's had no problems with it in the three years he's had it. It's essentially the same as a Toyota Matrix but looks better.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:52:17 -0600, Sarah Houston wrote Re Ok, I'm open minded:

Ford Escort or Focus

Reply to
Caesar Romano

The buying public thinks differently.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Latest generation Ford Focus. The older ones had some issues. Sometimes farther ahead to buy brand new if you can get 0% financing instead of buying used??

Reply to
clare

Tes, the last couple years of ESCORT were also extremely reliable. My brother drives one, as do all 3 of his kids. In the last 6 years or so he's bought and sold a fair number of sedans and wagons - they are ALL driving ZX2 coupes right now.

Reply to
clare

Buiuld quality is VERY close. Toyota tin sardine cans were in the seventies and early eighties, when you could also walk down the street of a quiet town and listen to Fords rust.

Reply to
clare

I am sad to tell you that our 03 Focus has had a couple of fairly expensive repairs.

AC problem at 70,000 cost $700, friggin flex plate at 100,000 and cost $1200 or so.

I sure as hell never expected to replace a FLEX PLATE.

Reply to
Scott

Do you believe because they sell better, they must be better?

Reply to
Mike Hunter

What was the VIN # so we can look that up to see if you are telling the truth?

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The buying public, the ones who determine which companies live or die, has already decided.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

2000-2003 Focuses are problematic. The 2004 was the first one that was fairly reliable, after Ford assigned a team of 50 engineers to exterminate all the bugs. The Focus was given a Consumer Report recommendation that year. The newer the Focus you buy, the better the reliability.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Gee

They got better after 2004 - and it DOES happen.

Reply to
clare

Reply to
Tom

ford focus only gets about 25mpg blended where the corolla gets around

30 blended. (automatics) the automatic escorts 2.0L get the same 25mpg...

I'd consider sticking with your corolla when you're talking about a 10 year old car, or maybe a civic (96-2000). Civics are a bit harder on fuel than the corollas, and seem to have a little less power.

Reply to
Picasso

I had not idea there was any car with less power than a Corolla! ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Your faulty data is showing again.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

You are correct! I forget about the 4cy Camrys, that is a real dog on a grade ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Don't forget the 2.4L mustangs. I had a 1987... started my love of mustangs, but ruined me on 4 cylinders ;)

All the power was gone by the time it got to the back wheels.

Reply to
Picasso