OT Parts ID

Maybe someone here will recognize this for me:
Top view <http://tinypic.com/m/ip2o2b/3 Oblique view <http://tinypic.com/m/ip2o2d/3
It was found in the parking lot outside our local tennis courts, and the speculations of what it is are running wild. I (and a few others) think it's something off a ball machine, like a clip to hold a remote, or a keeper to keep a shaft from turning. Unfortunately, the ball machine is locked up, and I can't seem to co-ordinate my time to check it out when it's in use.
Others think it came off a vehicle, maybe like the keeper for a speedo gear (looks a bit large to me for that), or something to do with a piece of trim.
All ideas appreciated :-)
SC Tom