Maybe someone can help

It's best to think things through logically before just replacing parts. First realize that you need three thing to make an internal combustion engine go:

1) Air 2) Spark 3) Fuel

Even if they're in the wrong ratio, you'll get something.

Air's the easy one. As long as nothing's blocking your air filter, you should be good. Very easy check.

Second is spark. This is pretty easy to check, at least with two people. If you have a timing light, connect it up and crank the engine. The timing light should flicker. If it doesn't, you've got a problem with your spark (ignition module, plugs, etc...). If you dont' have a timing light, pull a sparkplug and put it near a ground point. You should see sparks jump.

Third is fuel, and I'm betting this is where the problem is, mainly due to the starting fluid test you ran. First, see if you're even getting fuel to the engine. Disconnect the fuel line from the engine and place the end of the fuel line into a container. Then crank the engine. If fuel doesn't shoot out of there like crazy, you've got a bad fuel pump (my guess). If you have fuel there, start checking your fuel rail. If the pressure regulator goes (like it did on my '75), it'll suck fuel right into the intake manifold. But even then, it sputtered a lot.

Reply to
Michael White

I have a 78 280z it was running fine then one day i go to drive it and it wont start . I have replaced the control unit, the airflow meter,the thermotime switch, the water temp sensor, the fuel filter, distributor with new cap rotor plugs and wires. However: I took some compression tests and they all read 120. I dont know if this is too low or not. All it does is cranks. I sprayed some starter fluid in the throtle chamber ant tried to start and it just backfired. (blew the entire airflow meter off the throtle body). i checked the timming think it may have jumped but it didnt. Im completely stumped. Any advice would be greatly apreciated. Thanks

Reply to
cheesy