Someone here has to do this.

Looks brilliant.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I *really* want to do this, but all my mates are complete wimps and are put off by the idea of breaking down, being kidnapped, getting lost, arrested, shot at and trampled by camel. Damn their eyes.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Note that the car used has to have a maximum of 1000cc or be a 125cc motorbike/moped.

Suggestions:

Bond Bug - mad cheese shaped 3-wheeleriness. The Mongolians would probably understand it more than us.

Daihatsu Avanzato - it'd get there quicker with over 300cc to spare

Fiat Panda 4X4 - more sensible, but probably best in pink.

David

Reply to
David Lane

Weird - last weekend a mate of mine asked if I wanted to do it.. I'm up for it!! only trouble is, he wants to do it in 'two or three' year's time rather than now! My first suggestion was to use a Citroen 2CV.. although i guess a Fiat Panda

4x4 would be pretty good. What else is rugged and 1 litre? Anyone else up for it?

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Yup, that's my situation - at the moment I'm doing a lot of sorting my life out, and can't afford to swan off to Mongolia for a month or more. Even though I'd really love to.

Diahatsu Charade 1 litre turbo? Nissan March ST? I wonder if anything excludes turbos! Smart car!!

I know they're not cheap - but it'd be great to get enough sponsorship to be able to buy a Smart and do it in that!!!

And I love this quote: "Who cares if your car goes wrong and blows up, buy a horse. "

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yeah. I started a company up last year and am looking to buy a flat at the moment. Probably rules me out in reality... still... I'm tempted.. :D

Yeah, would be pretty mental to do it in a Smart. In the FAQ it says you can go over 1 litre, there's a £100 penalty for every 0.1 l over... what about a Lada Niva?

Otherwise, just buy something gigantic and 5 litres just for the hell of it! Hmm... I wonder if my dented up 944 would make it over a few bumps.. ;)

lol!

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

->>>

->>> Looks brilliant.

->>

->> Weird - last weekend a mate of mine asked if I wanted to do it.. I'm up

->> for it!! only trouble is, he wants to do it in 'two or three' year's time

->> rather than now!

->

->Yup, that's my situation - at the moment I'm doing a lot of sorting my life

->out, and can't afford to swan off to Mongolia for a month or more. Even

->though I'd really love to.

It would take a while to get the vehicle fully prepared.

->> My first suggestion was to use a Citroen 2CV.. although i guess a Fiat

->> Panda 4x4 would be pretty good. What else is rugged and 1 litre?

->> Anyone else up for it?

->

->Diahatsu Charade 1 litre turbo? Nissan March ST? I wonder if anything

->excludes turbos! Smart car!!

I would suggest that you want something nice and simple that you can fix with only a small selection of tools, as others have said a 4x4 Panda, tho I would go for a SJ410.

Reply to
Geoff

Yep, it's in the plan. We thought of maybe a Peugeot 504 estate or an old Merc estate (both still used widely as taxis in developing countries so spares not a problem) but something 4x4 like a Panda Sisley or Suzuki SJ would be better for the dodgy road surfaces or in an emergency off road situation.

Reply to
fishman