OVERDRIVE QUESTION

i have a ford taurus with a V-6 overdrive..

is there any reason or driving condition whare you should NEVER use Overdrive??

Reply to
Sha Zam

My 97 Bird is at 108K and I use overdrive almost always. Exception would be stop and go traffic and short drives (saves on brakes).

Coming down a steep grade. Keeps the brakes from overheating.

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

I have had 4 cars and vans and use over drive all the time. Almost!! Never when going down steep hills. Not while towing trailer. Sometimes in snow or on ice.

Toyota says " - Normally while driving the overdrive should be "on"."

fct

Reply to
gkw

Typically the only time you would disable overdrive would be:

1: lots of short up/down hills causing the transmission to shift in and out of overdrive often. 2: Towing or carrying a heavy load that causes frequent shifting. 3: Going down long hills, where disabling it will help engine braking.
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

One can drive in either drive position without causing damage. The only difference is, if you drive above about 40 MPH with OD (fourth gear) locked out you will be driving in one less than top gear and use more fuel by running at a higher RPM. There is no need to run with the OD locked out because the tranny will not shift to fourth when the conditions are not right for it to do so, no matter what you may hear to the contrary.

mike hunt

Sha Zam wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

No need to EVER lock out the OD..... wow.. what a foolish thing to say. It's much better to run in 3rd and keep the converter locked up than to leave it in OD and burn up a tranny because the converter unlocked and overheated. When pulling a long grade or a trailer he should downshift to 3rd... no matter what you say to the contrary. Bob

Reply to
Bob

You are WRONG. Andrew Rossman had the correct answers as per my Lincoln Continental owners manual.

Reply to
Arthur Dent

years ago, on my 87 caprice, it was suggested to keep the car out of overdrive except when at highway speeds, on a fairly level grade. I believe electronically controlled transaxle assemblies put and end to that though...

Every once in a while, I still find myself in the D gear, by habit.

Reply to
Me

I've always kept mine in "O". It's similar to keeping it in "D"; it only changes into the highest gear when conditions allow it. The only time I can remember not using the "O" setting was when driving in the mountains.

I did this in my 1989 Taurus and I do it now in my 2000 Taurus. Doesn't seem to hurt anything and the fuel economy is the best it's going to be, given my heavy right foot.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN