Re: 94 Taurus TRANSMISSION question or two? Help!

D = Drive. Usually locks up the uppermost gear, which is overdrive. (D) = Overdrive. A gear in which the output is greater/faster than the input.
I'm not familiar with the transmission used in the Taurus, so I can't really
say much more. But it sounds as if your overdrive is failing to engauge. Are you sure gas mileage hasn't dropped? If you are not going into overdrive anymore, your engine will be running at higher RPM while cruising and this will consume more fuel.
Wait until you get a response from someone more familiar with the Taurus, as I drive older, bigger Fords with the AOD transmission, or the C6 transmission (1987 Lincoln Town Car, 1971 Ford LTD).
-Steve

Leesa Taylor opined in

First check the TVS cable at the throttle crank.
It sounds to me, tho, that you dont have OD anymore.
I dont get the corelation to start-up power which is why I suggested the tvs cable.
wow, consider yourself extremely lucky to have an AX4S tranny that's lasted 148k miles! As far as you not noticing a difference between D and the other D (Over-Drive or OD), you really shouldn't unless you're on the highway. OD just kicks into another gear.
You should probably run some Auto-RX in the tranny though. The stuff is a necessity for cleaning out your tranny and just for general maintenance. Visit their site at www.auto-rx.net and also go over to the bobistheoilguy.com forums (http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum ;f=5) for some independent discussions on this stuff from general enthusiasts! If you want low maintenance on your tranny, I'd suggest using synthetic ATF in there. I've used Amsoil in my '97 Taurus, and my recent oil analysis showed the stuff is still good and it's been in there for 2 years already. Granted I have a secondary tranny cooler and also use a magnefine filter, but that's only because I go all out on preventive maintenance! If you want Amsoil ATF, June Han sells it AT dealer cost, that's a huge discount. His email is snipped-for-privacy@cinci.nospam.rr.com (take out nospam of course). Good luck,
Tom

Leesa Taylor wrote:

The circle over the D is overdrive (4th cruising gear), the D is for drive. In either drive, you should feel the cars engine speed up and slow down as it goes from 1st to 2nd to third gear. If it is shifting through all three maybe your engine needs some help if its doggie. There is a whole laundry list of thing to do on a taurus that could cause that.
If its shifting through all three gears, the trannie fluid level is up to the mark, does not smell burnt, and is the red or orangeish color (not black or dark brown), i would leave it alone and drive it until it dies. The only time you will feel the overdrive kick in anyway is on the highway. If the torque convertor was not locking up, you would just lose a little fuel mileage. Have you noticed your mileage changing any? It would probably be around $2000 to have yours rebuilt with a convertor. Give or take a few hundred. Many trannie shops will offer you a free evaluation. You might take it to a few different ones that do this and see what opinions you get.
BOB