Re: 94 Taurus TRANSMISSION question or two? Help!

D = Drive. Usually locks up the uppermost gear, which is overdrive. (D) = Overdrive. A gear in which the output is greater/faster than the input.

I'm not familiar with the transmission used in the Taurus, so I can't really say much more. But it sounds as if your overdrive is failing to engauge. Are you sure gas mileage hasn't dropped? If you are not going into overdrive anymore, your engine will be running at higher RPM while cruising and this will consume more fuel.

Wait until you get a response from someone more familiar with the Taurus, as I drive older, bigger Fords with the AOD transmission, or the C6 transmission (1987 Lincoln Town Car, 1971 Ford LTD).

-Steve

I have a 94 Ford Taurus (3.0) and I have noticed lately that my car > reacts exactly the same no matter which of the D s on my shift > indicator (automatic trans.) Now... if I go down to the 1 position... > you can definitly feel the difference. I used to feel the difference > in driving in both Ds. > > Now... I know this is transmission related, and I do NOT have any > money, except to maybe change the fluid/filter. > > Here are my questions. > > 1 --- > There are two D s on my shift indicator, I know one is for DRIVE... > but what does the other D stand for? > > 2 --- My car has about 148,000 miles on it. I know that NOTHING has > been done to the TRANNY since about 88,000 miles, when we did a > fluid/change. Can old/dirty fluid and/or filter cause this type of > symptom? > > 3 --- What do you think is happening here? Am I somehow stuck in LOW > or something because I have very poor pick-up from a stop. My mileage > is fine, but the pick-up is terrible. > > Again... I used to feel a difference in driving between the two D > positions... and now... they are exactly the same as far as feeling > and driveability go. > > Any educated guesses guys? > > thanks so much. > > LEESA (I)
Reply to
Steve Reinis

Leesa Taylor opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

First check the TVS cable at the throttle crank.

It sounds to me, tho, that you dont have OD anymore.

I dont get the corelation to start-up power which is why I suggested the tvs cable.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

wow, consider yourself extremely lucky to have an AX4S tranny that's lasted

148k miles! As far as you not noticing a difference between D and the other D (Over-Drive or OD), you really shouldn't unless you're on the highway. OD just kicks into another gear.

You should probably run some Auto-RX in the tranny though. The stuff is a necessity for cleaning out your tranny and just for general maintenance. Visit their site at

and also go over to the bobistheoilguy.com forums
for someindependent discussions on this stuff from general enthusiasts! If you wantlow maintenance on your tranny, I'd suggest using synthetic ATF in there.I've used Amsoil in my '97 Taurus, and my recent oil analysis showed thestuff is still good and it's been in there for 2 years already. Granted Ihave a secondary tranny cooler and also use a magnefine filter, but that'sonly because I go all out on preventive maintenance! If you want AmsoilATF, June Han sells it AT dealer cost, that's a huge discount. His email is snipped-for-privacy@cinci.nospam.rr.com (take out nospam of course). Good luck, Tom

Reply to
Tom Leser

The circle over the D is overdrive (4th cruising gear), the D is for drive. In either drive, you should feel the cars engine speed up and slow down as it goes from 1st to 2nd to third gear. If it is shifting through all three maybe your engine needs some help if its doggie. There is a whole laundry list of thing to do on a taurus that could cause that.

If its shifting through all three gears, the trannie fluid level is up to the mark, does not smell burnt, and is the red or orangeish color (not black or dark brown), i would leave it alone and drive it until it dies. The only time you will feel the overdrive kick in anyway is on the highway. If the torque convertor was not locking up, you would just lose a little fuel mileage. Have you noticed your mileage changing any? It would probably be around $2000 to have yours rebuilt with a convertor. Give or take a few hundred. Many trannie shops will offer you a free evaluation. You might take it to a few different ones that do this and see what opinions you get.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ