Re: Foreign cars pass Big 3. but not on a steep grade

Page 4 of 5
On 29 Jul 2006 18:48:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@london.com wrote:

Oh?
How do you know?
Liberals are all alike.
Not to be trusted with the security of the US or anywhere else for that matter.
--

Scott in Florida

It's either a troll, or a ultra-conservative, close-minded, self-righteous opinionaited "bush is always right" hate-monger who seems to blame a newspaper for all the ills (while probably listening to Rush (get another hit) Limbaugh on a daily basis.
Either way, I'm thankful for the ability to "killfile" a moron like this who does nothing but disparage others and uses this newsgroup as his own personal soapbox against the NYT... without substantiating anything, we might note.
JP

Scott in Florida wrote:

How do either of you know? Neither of you have proved your claims.
Both of you are also forgetting that the Times was very pro-Bush on war policy until well after Iraq was invaded, as exemplified by Judith Miller.
In the article, we read:
"To follow suit, the solution for Detroit's automakers may be simple: cut back on S.U.V.'s and pickups and put their resources into developing the cars that American drivers increasingly want."
Me think that the last word of that sentence should be NEED instead of WANT. LOL

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/28/business/worldbusiness/28auto.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/28/business/worldbusiness/28auto.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print Toyota deserves its reputation for fuel efficient vehicles, and that reputation is probably why it's clobbering everyone else. Some folks claim in GM's defense that it has N cars that do 30mpg, but that probably demostrates its badge proliferation more than anything else. What happens when we crank the cutoff to 35mpg?
Number of GM vehicles doing 35mpg or better: 0 Number of DaimlerChrysler vehicles doing 35mpg or better: 0 Number of Fords doing 35mpg or better: 1 (Escape Hybrid)
Number of Toyotas doing 35mpg or better: 6 (Yaris, Corolla, Prius, Camry Hybrid, Scion xA, Scion xB)
(I may have missed 1 or 2, but you get the idea)
Chris

To each his own Chris, but I can only tell you that mileage is not my number one qualifier in car purchase decisions. It's probably down around my third or fourth. That said - I assume the ability to deliver around 30 on the highway as a baseline. Factors more important to me and which I do not think that some of these Toyotas are capable of delivering (Prius, Yaris, Corolla) is the overall safety of the car. These little runabouts may appeal to short trip, urban street, or grocery getter crowd, but I sure would not bet on the ability of these cars to come out on the better end of a collision in the types of driving conditions outside of your typical 30mph residential speed zones. As well, I don't see them as comfortable at all for any trip longer than your average work commute. To own one of these would require owning a second car just for the purpose of accommodating normal driving requirements. Hardly worth the few extra miles per gallon they deliver.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

That's fine. It's not my top priority either. In fact, I don't own any of the Toyotas I named. It is a big deal for many people, however. I just wanted to point out that the domestic makes seem utterly uncompetitive on this important criteria, alienating a major market segment. I think it's remarkable that even the subcompact and compact cars from *all* the domestic makes are such underperformers in the MPG department.
Chris
Jeff wrote:

mack wrote:

When was the last time that you were in a newer US made truck. They drive better than my Japanise cars.

About 8 months ago when I rented a (I think 2003) GMC full size truck to do a bit of hauling for the day. It rode faily well (for a truck) when loaded down, but empty it still had a jumpy ride. (And the trucks I see on the road are empty about 95 % of the time.) What is your Japanese car? A Tennessee made Nissan?
mack wrote:

not sure I would consider a 2003 new but whatever. As for the cars I have honda civic and a camry. My father has an 04 2500 and it definitly drives better than my civic (can't say much for the gas milage though) and it would be right there with my camry.
runsrealfast wrote:

Sorry its and 2005 GMC not an 04!
runsrealfast wrote:

Two years ago I test drove a new Chevy pickup truck. Driving down our highway was like taking a ride on a bronco. It just kept bobbing front to back over the slabs of concrete. Not for me thank you!
John
Try that same road in a Yaris. LOL
mike hunt

You are assuming all light trucks are pickups, SUV and vans are included in that category. Individuals are not the only buyers of trucks. Not all Americans live in cities. In some parts of the county when people say 'I bought a new CAR' they are talking about their new TRUCK The three top selling vehicles in the US are NOT cars.. They are the Ford F150, Chevy Silverado and the Dodge RAM. The F150 has been the number one selling vehicle in the US for nearly thirty years. It currently sells at a rate nearly twice that of the best selling car. ;)
mike hunt

DUH you can believe what you want to believe but check YOUR facts, the three top three selling vehicles in the US for 2005 were the Ford F150, Chevy Silverado and the Dodge RAM. Number four was the Camry
mike hunt

Like I said you are free to believe whatever you choose.
mike