Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

Page 1 of 8
American buy more Vibes than Matrix
mike hunt

Hello, Based upon what I have read in car magazines over the past several years, it became obvious to me that GM and Ford do a terrible job related to making cars but do a very great job in making trucks. Honda and Toyota make great cars. The Accord or the Camry are the two best selling cars in the world and usually come in as first or second in Car and Driver Magazine's "Best 10 Cars" yearly contest. That's the reason GM may eventually go out of business. jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 13:04:38 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:

Or the big three are perceived as better due to blind flag-waving NASCAR Dad brand loyalty, or made something the others didn't. For instance, Toyota and Nissan don't make anything like the F250 or 3500 dualie, yet... <G>
Years ago, I switched my small business commercial vehicles from Ford E350 cube vans to Mitsubishi diesel cabovers with 14' boxes. The E350s were total loads of manure in every respect compared to the Mitsubishi's. Look what Sprinters, a Euro design, are doing to the contractor van market.
Compare the Ford Ranger and the S10 to Toyota and Nissan small trucks.
Drive a Trail Blazer, then for drive a 4Runner or Pathfinder.
Ride in a loaded Tahoe, then take out a loaded Sequoia or Land Cruiser (if it's an older Tahoe).
Nissan sold plenty of Titans and Armadas. Wasn't the Titan the vehicle that the GM CEO dragged his team over to inspect?
Let's see how the new Tundra does once it's out...
Perceived by you perhaps. The proof of what buyers prefer is in the total annual sales figures. No owners are more fanatical than Toyota owners. They are under the delusion that their vehicles will never break down. Japanese trucks, all of them, are an 'also ran' when it comes to truck sales. The three best selling vehicles in the US are Ford, GM and Dodge full size trucks. The GM and Ford trucks alone sell more than all of the cars and trucks that Toyota sells combined. The F150 alone sells at a rate more than twice that of Toyotas best seller, the Camry LOL
mike hunt
(Jason) wrote:

Top-posting troll Mike Hunter wrote:

In the world, not only the US.
dizzy AKA Stupid, Troll, Idiot, Moron etc GM is number one in the world as well.
mike hunt
message

I'll try to remember that advice from our friend dizzy AKA Stupid, Troll, Idiot, Moron etc next time I post, OK? ;)
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

I'll try to remember that next time I post, OK?
mike hunt

Hey Mike, Toyota owners are not under the "delusion" that their Toyotas will never break down. They are under the accurate impression (usually from personal experience) that their vehicles will break down less to a lot less than any other brand.
(Jason) wrote:

It is still an illusion since it is not true. Look at any survey of the auto indistry. The failure rate is around 2% for ALL manufactues, within the first five years or 75K, which means 98% of all the others among them will not have a failure. EVERY manufacture makes some that are not up to snuff. That is why they all have a warranty even RR. ;)
mike hunt
(Jason) wrote:

What you write is simply not true. In fact it is utterly absurd. I've pointed this out to you in the past and I wish you would make an effort to understand it. Go look in the Consumer Reports owner surveys and you will find that, for example, the failure (problem) rate for a five year old Lexus (that is, in it's fifth year) is about 22 failures per 100 vehicles (a Lexus owner has a 1 in 5 chance of having a problem in year 5, on average). That is for just year 5, not a total of 5 years. Very different. For Mercedes Benz and Cadillac the failure rate is about 105 failures per 100 vehicles. The Merc and caddy owner has a 1 in 1 chance of having a problem during year 5, on average. Pretty bad for high priced spreads. The overall average failure rate for all cars during year five is about 75 failures per 100 vehicles. So the Lexus guy is much better off than the average, while the Caddy and Merc owners are significantly more likely to have trouble.
How you got a failure rate of 2% in five years is a profound mystery and something that is simply unbelievable. Even if you claimed it was a 2% annual failure rate that is still ridiculously low. Even Japanese cars do not do that well. My GM Yukon XL had at least five failures in five years, or a 100% chance of a single failure each year, on average. (Pretty close to what CR reports for year 5, actually.)
(Jason) wrote:

Mikey has never let truth and the real world intrude on his fantasies and he supports GM and company, never.
No wonder you are confused, you need to go back to mathematics 101 and learn what is the AVERAGE failure rate when a survey shows the number of failures reported for all vehicles was 133 per 100 vehicles LOL
mike hunt

The devil is in the details Charles. The word "failure" is where Mike tends to leverage his position. His leaky intake gaskets didn't cause him to be stranded without a car, so it wasn't a failure. Likewise with the wheel bearings that wore out in less than 40,000 miles. Or the heater control resistor pack. He either drives through the problems, never having them fixed, or he gets rid of the car and lets the new owner deal with it. He's already told us how many cars he's owned and how often he turns them over so it only stands to reason that he's never "experienced" the "failures".
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Re: GM is still number one Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Wed, Apr 12, 2006, 11:31pm From: snipped-for-privacy@CHARTERMI.NET (CharlesU'Farley)
[...]
Exactly what is catagorized as a failure? Normal wear & tear parts like batterys, brake shoes/pads, bulbs, etc or something catastrophic?
Am I just just lucky that my '99 Duratech Taurus has not had any "failures" other than normal wear replacements and still runs like new?
Eric
Actually GM sells more cars than Toyota and Honda sell Camrys and Accords. It just that they have different brand names on the hood.
mike hunt