REQ: Key alternative for 2001 Mercury GM

Lost one of the ignition keys to our 2001 Merc GM...anyone know of a cheaper alternative or another source than a $100 visit to our local Mercury dealer.
Thanks TJ
Yeah, call a locksmith or go to your local walk in locksmith shop. Thats what we do for a living.

Do you still have two programmed keys? If so, you can add more yourself. You only need to pay for the cost of the key(s), and not additional programming costs. If you only have one programmed key left, you will have to pay more as it will require somebody to access the computer to add in the new key.
That is no longer true. Dealerships have a key cutting device, that need not be connected to the vehicle, that cuts and programs the key based on the VIN#.. It is still more expensive if one does not have two keys however. The cost of the programming cutter is near $4,000 ;)
mike hunt
says...

Mike Hunter wrote:

How does that work? I thought that the key needed to be "registered" to the PATS module in the vehicle. Progarmming a key actually does nothing to the transponder in the key itself.