How much pedal force is required to fully brake the vehicle with no vacuum assist? Remember, at WOT, there is NO VACUUM. IF the brake check valve was not 100% and the throttle was held wide open, there is a VERY real chance you could not hold the truck back with one foot on the brake.

The only thing I can think of, on a ford, that could cause a totally random "wild" acceleration would be the electrically operated (no vacuum servo) cruise control used for the last how many? years. IF somehow the ecu caused the apply motor to run and the apply clutch to apply,(terminology may not be right, but anyone who knows the system will know what I'm talking about) there IS a VERY slight possibility that the aformentioned condition could result. As a mechanic I would NEVER say never. Proving it after the fact would be EXTREMELY difficult, however, and the chances of it happening a second time?????????.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Was a VERY common occurrence on early GMs. They redisigned the mounts to solve the problem, but the recall (I did MANY of them, back around

1969 or thereabouts) was a loop af cable bolted to the manifold bolts, and around the upper suspension pivot, if memory serves me correctly.
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I had a couple of Chevy Caprices back in the '60s, they both had little cables ran around the upper control arm mount and ran to a bracket bolted to the exhaust manifold on both sides of the engine, both the engine mounts were broken on both of the cars...

SteveL

Reply to
pakeha