Tires locked/Battery light on/car running

I was backing up in driveway, battery light, service engine soon light, and low coolant light came on. My tires would not move and the car still running. Get out and found some kind on belt under car (very long, black). I have the Limited Edition 1997 Ford T bird.

Reply to
ckeys

Sounds as if you lost the serpentine belt that drives the alternator, water pump and power steering from the engine crank pulley. Maybe one of the pulleys fell off.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

thank you sharon for reponding so quickly. I am a woman I suppose you understood the urgency in not being taking advantage of. DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT HOW MUCH LABOR WILL BE TO PUT ON SERPERTINE BELT?

Reply to
ckeys

You wrote:

I think it's safe to say that you need more than a belt. Has it been making any strange noises lately? Without looking at it I can't tell you for sure what's wrong but I'm guessing the water pump. In any case a broken belt would not cause the SES or the low coolant light to come on unless you drove it that way for some time.

Your best bet is to get it to a reputable shop and tell them the whole truth about what happened. I don't think you are telling it to us. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Installing a belt is no problem, just takes a few minutes with a ½? breaker bar. If the belt broke, a new belt will be required, and that's $25~30 for the part. However, if SOMETHING ELSE broke (causing the belt to be 'thrown'), it will cost quite a bit more. As I said before, if a pulley fell off, that would need replacement. If the belt tensioner is worn out, a new one will need to be installed. In short, if you lack mechanical knowledge about how cars work, it?s time for a mechanic. Sorry!

Reply to
Sharon Cooke