Trunk Key for Taurus

Did the '96 Taurus use a separate key for the ignition/doors and trunk? I got a used Taurus and cannot use the ignition key to open the trunk. The previous owner says that's the only key. True?
Thanks.
mnt wrote:

Both my '89 and '00 Taurus had separate keys for the trunk and the ignition. Of course, they both had remote trunk releases as well. Replace your trunk lock if you can't get a key any other way.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@BARFcarolina.rr.com
My 'Stang has a button in the glove box to open the trunk. But the button works with the car off and the key out. Is that normal? Not much of a "feature."
-- Herb Stein The Herb Stein Group www.herbstein.com snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com 314 952-4601
If you perceive it as a security issue, lock the glove box.
Herb Stein wrote:

314 952-4601
That's easy to change. Rewire the glove box switch from a source that only activated when the ignition is on, simple
mike hunt
Herb Stein wrote:

Mine works the same way, although it won't work if there isn't battery power. Found that out while pushing the button repeatedly when the battery was out of the car on the charger. ;)
I have a '98 Taurus SE and it only has one key. If your key doesn't fit the trunk AND you have a security system or the PATS system - the key you have COULD be a valet key. A valet key is only good for the doors and ignition - not glovebox or trunk. POSSIBLY!
Jim
mnt wrote:

ignition...... so the 96 taurus probably has the same setup......... probably the truck lock is broken and the key does not work???? try the key in both directions(flip the key over, this might make it work?? if not then open the trunk from the inside drivers floor area and open the trunk and remove the lock mech. and take it to a locksmith and see what he can do with it???
The lock is gummed up filled with some junk.Take the lock off and disassemble it and clean and lube it. It should be fine afterwards