What's hot? Cars that last

Page 3 of 3
The problem with ranking anything on a 'list' is, the fact that it is misleading. Any list of the finest of the finest, or even the worst of the worst, will have one on the top and another on the bottom, which means
nothing. Those surveys should be presented as the statistical PERCENTAGE, which is what they are, that would be more meaningful.
As a statistic list would show that ALL manufactured vehicle fall within the 2% average failure rate for ALL manufactured products, with one being at an insignificant small percentage above the one below.
Does it really matter if the failure rate is 1.8% or 1.9 or even 1.1% when the 3,000,000 copies of that vehicle were sold? Your chance that you bought one of the 98% that did NOT have a failure is far greater and even you did get one of the 2% the failure would have been covered by the warranty, that is why all manufacturers offer a warranty, even on a $500,000 Rolls Royce
Durability studies that are not quantified are meaningless to the average person as well, because unless one spends big buck to subscribe to the group providing the survey, there is not way to know how the person surveyed used or abused the product or if they provide the proper preventive maintenance or not.
wrote in message

I don't believe that; some of the best vehicles I have ever owned have been completely destroyed by JD Power, Consumer Reports, et. al.
besides, three years old is still a new car. Probably newer than I'm likely to buy, anyway.
nate
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:51:09 -0400, "Derek Gee"

Since they make money by selling those numbers I'm not surprised they claim they are both wonderful.

True, JD Power aren't in it for charity, but I've been tracking their numbers against Consumer Reports and internal automaker data, and overall it does track pretty well against it. I only wish they would track the vehicles for longer than three years (like they used to). At that point, they are only just being nicely broken in... :)
Derek

I have a large banner hanging in my garage that reads "planned obsolescence is bullshit". My next door neighbor hates it since he works at one of the big 3. The NEWEST year of vehicle I have ever owned is 1974! Presently the years of cars I own are 1947, 1964 and 1966. I have owned the 1966 since 1984 with very little problem with reliability! I don't care... even if I'm a billionaire, I will NEVER buy new! Of course if I had that much money, I would have my own prototype built from scratch!