Planned mods...

...following on from the thread regarding which cars you've had and got rid of in 2006, which mods are you planning to do to yours is 2007, and which ones did you do in 2006 you really wish you hadn't (if any)?

I'll start... the Golf, I intend to do maintenance work on more than anything else, but with a view to getting slightly more performance / economy as a result, so I suppose it's a 'mod' of sorts - been reading up a lot on these the last few days, and it would appear they tend to suffer with coke etc. building up in the inlet plenum and EGR valve, so that's my main sweary job for a weekend at some stage in the near future.

Other than maybe upgrading the front brakes I'm planning to leave it alone as it does what it says on the tin, reliably.

Rover wise, I want to fit the 600Ti / MG ZS front brake set up I recently bought for it, as well as a powerflow pipe and much improved cold air feed induction.

I'm also going to look into getting the ECU remapped and into maybe getting a four branch manifold.

As for my worst mod of 2006... I won't be shedding any tears over the VTEC conversion I tried to inflict (without success), onto a previously healthy 216 GTI TC.

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Well, the 75 will be back from it's bodywork restoration quite soon, so....

I'll be having the headlining retrimmed, possibly in charcoal alcantara and might have the centre console done to match, too.

I'm on the lookout for a late model Recaro interior, but failing that, the current driver's seat will be re-padded.

I already have a replacement leather steering wheel to go on it, plus a matching leather gearknob to replace the plastic one.

Mechanical mods have mostly already been done, with Koni rear springs and shocks (2in drop) and Gabriel air shocks being fitted to the front as part of the resto. However, I'll probably get around to fitting an induction kit to it, with a cold air feed from low down behind the front bumper. I'll possibly replace the back box with something a bit prettier and louder, although OEM ones are as free-flowing as you need.

The 156 will just get maintained, but I need a couple of bits of trim to replace the bits broken when Katie used it to take stuff down the tip and put something on the back seats that was about half an inch too wide, damaging both rear doors.....

The Passat will get caned every day and handed over to VW to fix every couple of months.

Reply to
SteveH

Sorry, we don't actually give a f*ck about how much you've spent or saved on your mongvan.

Reply to
SteveH

Does getting the floor lowered 10 inches on a new unregistered van, a auto wheelchair ramp / door opener "kneel" system (suspension drop when using ramp), driving seat removed, hand controls and wheelchair clamp (auto/electronic) fitted and UK SatNan fitted to replace US one, and fitting a set of 18x9J rims and 255/50/18 rubber, a modded fuel tank, and one off exhaust count along with side skirts and retrim inside count? Oh and blacked out front side windows to match the stock rear. And still 25k cheaper than a UK bought one...

Reply to
Burgerman

Are you embarassed at how much you've spent on your mongvan Steve?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Shhhh. You'll scare the fish.

Reply to
SteveH

I care more about that than a cupholder and soft touch dash.

Reply to
Iridium

Yes, well, it's kind of a 'special interest' area for you two :-P

Reply to
SteveH

It's a shame they won't give you something more reliable. My 206 has needed precisely zero fixing, aside from tyres and brake pads :-)

Reply to
Iridium

All I've needed was the coin trays replacing.

By 'fixing', I mean servicing. Although I often find something else for them to do - last time it was due to my own abuse.

I somehow don't think your chick-wheels would stand up to the kind of mileage I'm doing.

Reply to
SteveH

Ick, I'd *never* buy a yank motor like that. The interior will make that of my mates s**te old AX look classy. I realise the point of my bait was the interior isn't *that* important, but, there are limits...

Reply to
Iridium

Well, on the basic of the 26k I've done, I suspect it would. The 50k GTi that I showed some time ago never had any problems either. I have no reason to suspect mine wouldn't do the 80k yours will do before changing without missing a beat.

Reply to
Iridium

How long has it taken to rack up that kind of mileage, though?

There's a bloody good reason why Peugeots aren't on the list of allowed cars. (Mainly the same reason why Alfa and Fiats aren't on there).

Reply to
SteveH

Well, it did 18k till August, and has done 8k since. It seems to like the commute to leeds heh, 800 miles a week it doesn't seem to mind. Although it's easy miles, straight A64 at 80-90mph cruise, so I accept it doesn't really have a hard time there.

Heh, fair. Although I thought your list was just Kraut motors or summet?

Reply to
Iridium

I'm thinking of getting something newer than the Golf later this year assuming I'm still having to commute big distances... they're a bit too small for me when I'm on family duties, but a 206 2.0 HDI appeals.

Other candidates are another Mk4 Golf or a 307 / 406 HDI.

Knowing me I'll buy something completely different to any of the above... which reminds me, I ought to check to see if the 52 reg Berlingo Multispace HDI I was told would be up for grabs early in the new year is going to be available soon or not.

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Well...

Gonna try and get hold of a half leather Recaro although I don't hold out much hope as good ones are stupid money and the rest are fooked so it may be a cloth recaro interior instead.

Looking at either refurbing the Laser alloys or finding some 15" ones preferably with black/dark grey spokes and polished rim.

Rear suspension is gonna be converted from multi to single leaf springs and polybushed. Just need to put polybushes on the steering rack and front ARB as I did the rest before MOT. Also looking at some alloy concentric roller bearing strut tops to lighten the steering a little.

For the engine it's Project Ebay - to build the best engine I can for £500 or less buying parts solely from Ebay. So far the spending has been £101 on project Ebay which has netted me a fully reconditioned Pinto 1.8 Short motor for £51, which I'm not sure whether I'll use or resell and replace with a 2L, and an unused Kent FR30 cam kit for £50. Leaves me £300 to hopefully find a tweaked head or at least one from an Injection which should be easy to do looking at recent prices. Also seen a few bike carb sets with Pinto manifolds on the go as well so might go that route instead of dodgy twin 40/45 Webers.

Have to take the Capper to the rolling road in the next week or two "as is" to get a baseline figure for a "Before" performance level.

Not sure about the brakes. Might just get some grooved discs and EBC pads or maybe upgrade to 2.8i vented but what I have work well ATM.

Reply to
Conor

Aye, that's racking it up quite quickly. Like you say, it's fairly easy

- I'm doing more miles on pretty poor roads - some of the B-roads up in mid-Wales are a tad bumpy.

Nah, the list is quite biased in favour of VAG stuff, 'cos Leaseplan are part-owned by VAG. There's Fords and Vauxhalls on there, but, obviously, no-one wants them.

Reply to
SteveH

If budget will allow, the 1.6 GTi HDi is better, but ludicrously expensive, and because of the obscene price, quite rare. Pretty sure the 2.0 HDi is the non-intercooled 90bhp version - as you want economy mainly I presume this probably doesn't interest you :-)

Reply to
Iridium

I could be talked into a new shape Astra 888 :-) Or even the diesel SRi

150. (If we can only have diesels).
Reply to
Iridium

Are you going to try to tell us that Dan's car won't make it to 80k?

Yes, they're not German.

Reply to
Douglas Payne