Windstar 3.8

I am want to buy a used minivan for about $3500. Am I asking for trouble if I buy a Windstar with 100K miles on the 3.8 engine? It seems I heard they were troublesome.
Any comments would be appreciated.
I haven't heard of to many problesm with the windstar. I have a 90 T-bird with a 3.8 and as far as the engine is concerned, it's great! As far as any other major problems with the windstar, I really haven't heard of any problems with them.
What year is it, and did you take it for a test drive??
Don wrote:

Do a google search on windstar, trouble and see what fun you find. When there working, there a nice ride. If the motor looks a little too clean, you can bet its had the head gaskets done at least once.
BOB
i have a 96(3.8) windstar and i can tell you that it is one of the most comfertable riding and luxery vans there is,on the other end it is probally if not the worst,close to it,one of the worst mechanical designs there was,there are way,way,way too many problems to list,trans,sub frame,door sensors,front end bearings,head gasket and so on and on, problems too list,as much as i love the look and ride i wish i never ever bought it.

My wife has a '97 3.8 Windstat and we've only had couple problems...brakes squeek (mechs can't find problem) and a dried vacuum hose boot that was letting the engine die when idling. It has been a good van overall.
Good luck, Mac
Thank to everyone responding for helpful input. But still wonder if anyone remembers the which year models had the head gasket problem that caused Ford to replace engines under extended waranty?

1995 and 1996 Howard

Thanks, I guess I should avoid those unless they have had engine replaced.