Clicking Feeling/Sound through Clutch Pedal

Anyone know what is causing this?
Started happening all of a sudden, when I fully press/depress the clutch pedal I can hear a clicking sound and can feel a clicking/grating through
the clutch pedal.
Is my clutch on its way out? The 'bite' point on my clutch has been really high up for a long time now (3 years), the clutch doesnt slip at all, sometime it will grind into reverse gear from a cold start.
Could something just need lubricating? If so, what?
Cheers, Chris
--
snipped-for-privacy@millersoils.co.uk

Chris wrote:

There is an electrical switch on the clutch pedal, a bit like a brake pedal switch. This can cause the effect you describe.
To check, temporarily remove the switch. It just turns through 90 degrees, and pulls up. If necessary, you can drive with it removed to check without causing any problems.
If the click goes with the switch removed, try to buy some electrical contact cleaner to spray into the switch. (Alternatively, a replacement switch won't be very expensive.) I would advise against using a normal lubricant spray such as WD40.
I sprayed mine about three years ago and it's been fine ever since.
HTH
(Also) Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Having just replaced the clutch safety switch on my 2001 Focus, I can tell you that Ford will want $54 for the switch ALONE. Then $50 for installing it.
My humble suggestion - go to AutoZone or other parts place and get it there. If I hadn't been grateful to the Ford garage for helping me to get my vehicle started, I would have told them to pound sand.
It's a really simple installation, it uses a captive metal wire clip to attach the cable to it, and the switch itself twists out of it's mount.
If the switch refuses to work, and you can't start - car in neutral, parking brake on, hold switch with plunger pressed down in one hand, turn the key with the other. Clumsy, but it worked for me. No, you can't reach the mounted switch while seated...
Chris Whelan wrote:

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 15:15:51 GMT, Chris Whelan wrote:

What's the switch for, by the way?
--
Chris Game

"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that
Chris Game wrote:

It signals the ECU. This signal is used amongst other things to "blip" the throttle during gear changes to make them smoother.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Thanks very much for the info, it was indeed this swith that is causing my 'bitty' feel.
Removed it, drove home fine, clutch all nice and smooth, replaced switch and gone all horrible again.
So now, I need some electrical contact cleaner, or a new switch. But at around 25 per switch I think I will try spray it first.
If I was to buy a new switch can you recommend anywhere that would be cheaper than direct from Ford UK?
Thanks again for the great advice, Chris

<Top post corrected>

Glad it was so simple.
I would check what the price is at a local dealer first. There is often a significant difference in European prices vs US.
You might want to try here:
http://www.fordpartsuk.com /
to get a discount. Note! I've not used them myself, but others have found them to be good.
Chris.
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Oooops, still pretty new to newsgroups. I guess I'm supposed to add my text to the bottom of the previous text and not the top, learn something new everyday!
I've filled a parts request form in for the part in question. Will let you know how much they want when I get a reply.
Cheers, Chris
Chris wrote:

Some people get a bit anal about it; I think that sometimes it's unimportant, but if you have a thread with more than a few replies it does make it harder to follow.
The habit of top-posting is not helped by the fact that many folk use Outlook Express, and that is what it defaults to.
There are lots of websites that will advise you of so-called netiquette if you want to avoid getting flamed!

That would be useful. I know that VW ones are only about six quid or so.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

3.60 from http://www.fordpartsuk.com in Dec 2005 when I replaced mine.
Gary.

Got my quote from FordPartsUK last night, it was roughly 6.00 + 3.00 delivery. Oh, and 3 for a PCV filter, don't suppose anyone has a spare PCV filter?
Regards, Chris