faulty fuel sender?

My 2001 2lt Focus estate would not start this morning so I had to arrange an alternative lift to work, I returned home this evening and it still won't start, Switched the key on and its missing the fuel surge
noise when you first turn on the ignition key, unfortunately the car has done this twice over two years but has always started the next day, but not this time, any views as to what might be causing the sudden none start?
Stephen.
--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsular.
On Sat, 14 May 2011 18:42:49 +0100, stephen.hull wrote:

Fuel cut-off switch (Behind driver's side footwell trim).
Fuel pump fuse is F12 (15A) in under-bonnet fuse box.
Fuel pump relay is R7 (Black) in under-bonnet fuse box. (Can be checked by swapping temporarily with R5 (Main beam relay.)) If neither relay clicks when ign first on, auto electrician may be needed. As it's a developing fault, relay is most likely cause however.
If above is OK, pump is suspect. Access involves removing fuel tank, which requires the exhaust to be dropped.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

turning the ignition key I could hear the fuel surge and it started up as normal, I was sort of hoping is was *not* going to work so the garage could have a look on Monday, not sure by the fact that it works now they will still be able to identify the fault.
The last time this happened in February I swapped the R7 sensor and checked the under bonnet fuse from the Wife's Focus but the car still would not start, however like today it just started up in its own time the next day, very puzzling.
I suspect the fuel pump but still can't explain why it starts up after a day or two.
Usually this happens after I've carried some weight in the back going to the tip for example but I am not sure if this is relevant or not.
Stephen.
--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsular.

hopefully its all sorted now and the car will start in the morning. I've not used the car all week in view of the fault.
Stephen.
--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsular.