Speed Limiter - Cruse Control

Page 3 of 3

Those that talk to the auto gearbox will change down if they detect runaway - my Volvo (manual) couldn't hold 40 over a local (camera infested) flyover in 5th, the A class changes down to 3rd just over the crest.
Apparently on date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:28:05 +0100, "Tim S Kemp"

Yeah, I can see how an auto might well behave differently. Not used autos a lot.
I have to be honest, I can't see a lot of point in a speed limiter except for the slightly handy use for being able to vary motorway speeds up and down for circumstances, but not exceed a true 90 mph or 94 on the clock or whatever.
Sorry, I mean "exactly 70 mph" don't I? ;)
Either way, cruise seems to do that fairly well, set it to the desired speed and simply disengage, resume, or overspeed and return to, as you feel the need.
I was doing something that was exactly ideal for a speed limiter, that is, zipping about town where the speed limit was nearly always 30 and there were cameras dotted about, it would have been ideal for that and I did experiment with it, but found it just got me hassled by white vans (actually, not white vans but you know what I mean). It didn't actually help for the cameras because I found I had to slow down anyway because most people go through them at about 23 mph, rather than 30, so the only time it might have made a difference, it was irrelevant.
The thing that took the most getting used to, the bizarre handbrake in the dash.
First off, no handbook on the hire car, so figuring out how to set and release it was fun. Then, trying to release it on a hill was major league awkward, meant rolling backwards, or stalling the engine and *then* rolling backwards.
You need three feet, one to engage the clutch, one to hold the car on the brake having released the handbrake which decides when it does it, and one on the throttle. Auto, sure, it would have been a picnic, footbrake, throttle, release handbrake and then footbrake.
Eventually got the hang of it, riding the clutch and it would release the handbrake automatically, but you had to be smooth with the clutch or stall, try and roar off from the lights and you stall, etc. Accelerate like a granny until in gear, and just about ok. Nasty business. I think this is one of those features that some like, and some hate.
James wrote:

Mercedes "SpeedTronic" option, Renault Laguna. They're the ones that spring to mind
--
All of my hate cannot be FOUND
I will not be drowned by your thoughtless scheming

Citroen C4, some models.
James wrote:

Megane 225 has it.
--
www.pickuptruckracing.com - UK's closest race series
Spotter for the PWR truck #9

you set the maximum speed and no matter how hard you plant the accelerator, it won't exceed it.
--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Conor wrote:

Some of em (apparently) will limit the speed under 'normal' throttle conditions, but you can override it by mashing the throttle.
--
www.pickuptruckracing.com - UK's closest race series
Spotter for the PWR truck #9
??? Abo ??? wrote:

    [...]
BMW system is like that - buzzes then limits but is cancelled by kickdown.
I know someone who swears by it but it just bugged me.
Jim Warman says...

You can override it on all cars, when you want a burst of speed, in most cases full throttle and /or pedal in the kickdown position will do it.
Tim..

Some cars, mostly French ones it would appear, also have a speed governor function built into the cruise control.
It prevents acceleration over a preset speed unless you press the accelerator hard, where it'll override until you back off again.
I don't believe any of these will physically prevent you from accelerating beyond the chosen speed but as was mentioned cars with an electronic automatic gearbox may be linked such that the ratio is dropped to prevent the speed breaching the set limit when rolling downhill. However this seems to be anecdotal and might simply be a matter of the auto box shifting at that point anyway.
Fundamentally they are not there to enforce any rules per se nor will actually stop the driver from breaking the limit. It is just a way that the driver can avoid accidentally accelerating over the limit. The driver always chooses the limit, and for safety's sake the system doesn't stop the car breaching the limit if the driver presses the accelerator hard.
Some cars (my old Alfa 147 for instance) have a buzzer that you can set to tell you if you go over a certain speed. This is almost useless.
--
Rich P
Replace .invalid with .com to reply.

Stacks, but not all.
We don't have that option on our aftermarket cruise control. I don't think it was an option but I wouldn't have ticked it anyway, because you are able to over-ride them at full throttle. I reasoned that if I was using full acceleration I would be well aware of the speed, if I wanted to avoid exceeding a certain speed I'd be using cruise. The final option, say preventing one from exceeding 30 or 40 in urban areas, I figured would be too "fussy" to use.
As it happens I have presets, much easier. One is set for one set of road works, one for the next and the final preset is my general cruising one.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

The CC on my 69 caddy convertible was like that. If you tried to go past the set speed it pushed back at you with progressively more force the faster you tried to go. It didn't stop you from going over your set speed but you knew when you were doing it.

Pushed back at you with what? The gas pedal? How did it do that? Bob

A heavier duty servo motor than ours has?
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com