flabby gear change

Recently, the gear lever on my 2000 1.4CL has become "indefinite" and seems to have lost the "spring loading" in the 3/4 plane making the change from

2-3 difficult. The spring resistance to the 5/R also seems a little weak.

Any ideas out there?

Reply to
Delboy

The gear lever centralising spring has broken - a very common fault. It only costs a couple of quid and 20 minutes to change. Best of all, you can do it all from inside the car!

This link might help you:

If not, post back here for further advice.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks Chris. I'll give it a whirl.

Reply to
Delboy

It sounds definately like the spring around the gear lever has broken.Remove the gaiter from the housing (sprung plastic fit),unscew the bolts holding the gear lever and lift it out. Remove the broken spring and fit new one.That's when I started to have a bad day. I could not figure out how it was fitted. When I finally did I felt rather stupid because it is simplcity itself. Have fun. Tony Anderson.

Reply to
Tony Anderson