Tach and Speedo sweep

This morning I started the car -2000 ZTS- and the speedo and tach both swept all the way to the right. IE the speedo to the max speed and the tach to the
max rpm.
Why? What caused this.
It was a COOOOLD night. High teens low 20s
Could that have something to do with it?
TIA for any answers.
--
Andrew D. Sisson

Sounds like one of the test mode selected with the trip / reset counter button see....
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/dtcodes.htm
--
Alan

Thing is I DID NOT touch any thing. Just turned the key. It did this BEFORE I started the car.
--
Andrew D. Sisson

If the trip / reset counter button was stuck in, or there was condensation across the switch terminals (printed circuit tracks?) then the first partial turn of the ignition key could have started the test sequence. Starting the car could have terminated the test sequence.
--
Alan

That's how the diagnostic mode works. Turning the engine over has nothing to do with it. I agree with Alan, it's probably a trivial electrical glitch with the instruments. Doubt if it will affect the operation of the car.
Good luck.
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 19:32:58 GMT, "Andy"

The instrument panel does this when you next switch on the ignition after disconnecting the battery. I suspect the battery voltage on your car dropped significantly overnight. You might want to consider getting a spare battery in case this one is on its last legs.
Jon
"Andy" wrote ...

Andrew. I used to have a car with that problem. It always turned out to be humidity building up within the electronics, freezing, and causing a short. The problem always went away with a change in the humidity levels, and no lasting harm was done. PIA more than anything.

You must be a Yank, using the old farenheit system. Anywhere else, in the metric world, that would be pretty comfy : )
Hope your car gets back to normal.
Rob
For years I've pondered about how our U.S. govt. & society is so proud of the independence from the U.K. thing, yet so unwilling to let go of the original Brittish measurement system. (from the mother country)
Hmmmmmmm, maybe there's somrthing Fruedian there. :-\
John 2000 LX Chicago, IL USA area

Let's make up our own measurement system!
Mojo

the

My 2000 wagon was doing that so I thought I'd be smart and get a new battery. It tested fine at the store - check out your Ford dealer as I didn't and the price was cheaper than (Sears). Good luck - Linda