05 Ranger stick - transmission & clutch pedal questions

Hello group,

I recently bought an 05 Ranger XLT I4 5spd 2wd. I have driven stickshifts for many years, and have owned new vehicles, and have put new transmissions (not transaxles) into vehicles. I've had 15 of them in all, of many different makes. I have never felt such sticky / balky synchros in my life! I've had worn trannies that ground a bit going to

2nd, but that's not the case here. The truck has 8k miles on it. I always shift with an easy hand, never force it, speed shift, or do anything stupid like that. I even often blip the throttle on downshifts to spare the drivetrain unnecessary strain. I've never hauled or towed too much with it, 800-1000 lbs. at very most.

There are times when I go for 1st or 3rd, in particular, and it literally won't into the gear; I have to try again. This is not always good in traffic! Will the gearbox loosen up, or is this just how it will be? I understand it's a Mazda gearbox. My Mazdas have always shifted well.

Also, the clutch pedal squeaks / rubs, and my TriFlo doesn't seem to make any difference with that plastic shaft, which I assume is connected to the clutch master cyl. Is this typical, too?

Many thanks. This has really been bugging me!

Luke

Reply to
Luke D.

I have an 04 with the same hardware. I find it is easy to miss a gear when in a hurry (quick accel into traffic, ect.). Also when in a quick shift, it will buzz a bit before droping into 2nd gear. I had 98 4L 4x4 and it would not go into 2nd without a grind even if you were sort of quick. I remember another 98 I test drove was like that. I drove many 5 speeds and never noticed this. They aren't sports cars! Take the gears slow and it works fine (in my experience). John

Reply to
JohnR66

I wouldnt be spraying anything on that plastic shaft as you called it. systems designed to seal brake fluid do not take kindly to oil getting on the seals.

have you checked the fluid level i the clutch master? have you checked the fluid in the tranny? since you state just bought an 05, who owned it last, some one a bit older and more mature, or a teen's first ride?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Ok. Thanks. It was a few drips of Tri Flo teflon lubricant.

I bought it with 4700 miles on it from a dealership, so the answers are yes, no, and Carfax didn't give me specific demographic information on the previous owner; the dealer bought it at an auction.

I didn't buy the truck to work on it. I have enough stuff to work on. I bought the truck to drive it. I guess I'll bring it to the dealer and just be done with it.

I was looking for a simple answer, not a know-it-all's list of questions. The only stupid thing I did was post a question to Usenet again.

BYE!

Reply to
Luke D.

Cycle the wiper switch 5 times and all will be good.

You also might need some fairy dust .

hope this was an simple enough answer.

Reply to
Ollie

Another a-hole who goes to a doctor and says, "Doc I don't feel good" and from that one statement the doc is supposed to peer into his crystal ball and say this is what is wrong.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Like a dealer won't ask you these questions, or charge you to do them himself?

Then look elsewhere, this group is trying to help you but can't until you provide more information. I hope the dealer charges you a grand to replace the clutch rod you f*cked up.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo