95 Bronco won't start

I started my Bronco yesterday. It ran for a second or two and died. Now, it just cranks and cranks. The trouble codes (4 of them) say that each of three different sensors have, "signal voltage is higher or lower than expected," and the Fuel Pump circuit has an open connection.

The three sensors are the Air Charge Temperature, Engine Coolant Temperature, and Transmission Oil Temperature. A burned up fuel pump can cause the open connection, but the sensor codes would not be caused by such a malfunction.

Since the truck is stone cold from sitting in the driveway over night, I'd expect the sensors to all give COLD readings -- whether that equates to a high or low voltage is a mystery to me.

I haven't got a wiring diagram for my truck, but if the three sensors and the fuel pump were all on the same circuit, then I'd be looking for a common failure point. Does anybody here have the wiring diagram for a "95 Bronco?

I also wonder how to gain access to the fuel pump. Is there an access panel in the floor of my truck, or do I have to drop the tank to get the pump out?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff,

I can't be of any real help, except to mention that ceativity might pay dividends. My 90 Sentra needed a new fuel pump a couple of years ago. IIRC, Chilton said to drop the fuel tank, but the shop I had deal with it ended up quickly yanking the back seat to get access to a panel, and did the job through it. My hunch is that they worked through both the cab and the trunk, but it saved them dropping the tank.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

The pump's in the tank, Jeff, and you'll have to drop the tank to get it out. It's pricey if the pump is the problem.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Try this link:

Jasper

Spd,

I'm looking at this late, but, aren't there two pumps. The one in the tank and another 'in-line' high pressure pump mounted somewhere on the frame rail?

[...]

: >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
Mellowed

I haven't found this to be correct in my Bronco. I only have one pump that I know of. If there's a second pump, it is not shown on the wiring schematics, nor is it obvious when looking at the frame rails. I'll double check, but the first glance did not reveal a second pump. Thanks for the thought though ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Just one in the tank on that truck, and a fuel filter on the frame rail.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Jeff,

I was mistaken. I was thinking about an older truck that I used to have.

[...]

: > : >

: > : >

: > : >

: >

:
Reply to
Mellowed

The Trouble Code was 542, Fuel Pump Circuit Open (with a detail about the ground-side that I forget at this instant).

I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter for $198 in parts, and a few beers for the labor of my brother in law. There were three other codes that were all red herrings (false codes) that had nothing to do with reality.

Bottom line, it was a relatively easy job that required more muscle than technical expertise.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland