96 F350 5.8L idle surge

My truck, after giving it a basic tune up of plugs and cap and all that, was running a little unstable at idle or low speed. If I let it idle, doing nothing, and its warm, it will act as if its hunting for the right idle speed every now and then. I was doing some dragging of stuff around the other day with it and it became most annoying because the speed wouldn't stay put. It seemed to start after I ran a bottle of injector cleaner through the tank, but it escapes me why that would have an effect. Someone suggested MAF, but this has a MAP system, and I don't know where to start with that. FI is one of my weak points, so a little guidance would be appreciated.

Reply to
carl mciver

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:44:17 +0000, carl mciver rearranged some electrons to form:

Idle Air Controller is probably dirty.

Reply to
David M

That would be something I can clean or does it have to be replaced?

Reply to
carl mciver

You can clean it with brake cleaner spray (after removing it, of course). Just clean the mechanical part. Keep the spray out of the solenoid end. Don't use alcohol- it can cause the rubber parts to prematurely dry out and crack.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

| > | Idle Air Controller is probably dirty. | >

| > That would be something I can clean or does it have to be replaced? | >

| | You can clean it with brake cleaner spray (after removing it, of course). | Just clean the mechanical part. Keep the spray out of the solenoid end. | Don't use alcohol- it can cause the rubber parts to prematurely dry out and | crack.

Alrighty. I just cleaned it up, but the crud level seemed light as far as I could guess. Does it take that much to cause this kind of problem? I won't know for sure how it does until tomorrow when I drive it again (it idling with me standing in the rain doesn't show me much and I wasn't going to stick around for it to warm up) so I'll know whether I was successful or not. David and SC Tom, it is much appreciated. If this kept up I was going to have to take it to the dealer, and that fills me with foreboding! Thanks!

Reply to
carl mciver

It doesn't seem to take much trash in it to affect the function- my '02 Escape was not idling worth a darn, and I had to take mine off and clean it. It was mildly discolored inside with not much in the way of crud, but I haven't had any problems with it since (knock on wood). BTW, a new one is in the $50-$60 ball park.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom