99 Explorer trans problem

I have a 99 Explorer Sport 4x4 with the automatic (5 speed?)

The truck has 113,000 miles on it. To my knowledge, the trans has never been serviced. We're getting hard shifts, and some shuddering in the higher gears.

It's going to the dealer on Monday for a fluid and filter change / general trans service. Is there anything major I can expect them to tell me is wrong with this thing?

Reply to
gw

yeah

a dealer will tell you you need a remanned transmission

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I kind of figured that would be the outcome. Any ideas what may actually be wrong with it so I can have a more informed conversation with them or a trans shop? (If I can find one other than AAMCO in Maine). The dealer was the best option found so far. Our local garage couldn't even get the right filter for it to do a fluid change. Gave up on him in a hurry.

Thanks.

Reply to
gw

But does that mean gw really needs one? Or do you have a different idea?

I'm wondering the same thing about my 94 Ranger. I'd still like a chance to talk to you.

BTW I just realized I've spelt your name wrong multiple times. My apologies.

Reply to
Roy Brown

Last time I got a remanned transmission put in by a dealer, it was *worse* than the one that came out. The last trans shop I went to (long ago) gave me a TH200 in place of a TH350 in a V8 Caprice. Burned up 3 times under warranty.

So should I expect it to be toast? Or is my friendly hometown Ford dealer going to bend me over and break it off when all I really need is a competent trans shop?

Truck goes in on Monday.

Reply to
gw

Replying to my own post, but here goes:

Dealer did a fluid and screen change, had the "tranny guy" drive it, and declared everything "OK". The truck still has a shudder at about 30-35, but the hard shifts are gone. I would describe the shudder as a forward-to-rear motion, almost a bucking sensation, but not at all violent. Like lightly tapping the gas while on flat road.

I'm thinking now that it could be EGR related, but the check engine light is not on.

Anybody have any ideas - does this still sound like a transmission problem?

Reply to
gw