Check Engine light FIXED

My 95 Ranger has had it's "Check Engine" light on for 6 years. Since 60,000 miles (It now has 130,000) It runs great, A/C still works. Best vehicle I've ever had except for that darn check engine light shining in my eyes. I thought about putting tape over it, drilling into the bulb, etc. Well the fix was... I waited it out, after all these years and miles the light FINALLY gave up and went out. I WIN and it cost nothing! (except maybe gas mileage) I have recently noticed a slight exhaust leak, maybe that "fixed" the light. Now my dash draws my attention because the light is not on. There is hope for all driving around with their light on. WAIT it out, it'll give up eventually and go out.

Reply to
Rob

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:47:59 +0000, Rob rearranged some electrons to form:

Well, that's pretty stupid advice. Why not find out why the light is on and fix it? Finding out the code costs you nothing at your neighborhood parts store.

Reply to
David M

HAHA I think it is great advice.low cost, no worry, and the light often is set to come on after so many miles to get you to take it in for service. old john.

Reply to
ajeeperman

AHHHH but you are wrong, the 95 Ranger has like OBD19 or something, nobody has that code reader except my Ford dealer...not free.

Reply to
Rob

Reply to
Rowbotth

SOME stores do have a OBD 1 tester too, If an o2 sensor has failed, then you could be spending more money at the pump.

My cel light comes on, but I know why (and perhaps soon i;ll fix it)

Reply to
Stephen H

You're my hero! The one on my 1989 F150 has been on for about 6 years too (code 32, EGR). There's nothing wrong with my EGR valve, so I gave up trying to fix it. I don't understand how they could have that one light be so reliable.

Reply to
Joe

it does not mean something all the time, my fathers crown vic will flash the cel for no reason. put the scanner on it and no codes, but the cel is on. clear, and it will stay off till the comupter hickups again. still no codes. been doing this for 6 years, and 145k miles. ford is at a loss also. they changed the ecm twice and it still does it. so now i just go and turn the cel off.

Reply to
tom

You need to replace your EVP sensor which caused most of those faults. You may very well be pleased with the improvement in the way your vehicle performs if you haven't already screwed it by ignoring the problem. You must be a glutten for punishment! The aggravation is just not worth it - it is too cheap not to fix the damn thing! Don't be such a tightwad! Even if you have to go to a dealer, I wouldn't look at the damn thing that long for the couple of hundred bucks a dealer might charge to fix it.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

The EGR can be finicky, but repairable. Just did mine today, adjusted the sensor (white) from.25 volts to above .5 volts koeo. The black sensor should be .25 volts at same. My egr valve isn't correct to factory specs, a OEM isn't available. but by some research and a volt ohm meter we fixed it.

Reply to
Stephen H

That was the first thing I tried.

Reply to
Joe

How'd you adjust it?

Reply to
Joe

ran a test lead with a multimeter; one to ground the other to the sensor output (three wires on the sensor ground, 5v reference and output to ECU.) read the numbers; a white sensor should have .5 v min (I don't know what the max is) I trimmed a small vacuum tube plug and put it over the pintle adjusted it until I got near 1v. A bit high I think, but it will decrease as time goes on. You need to first verify what the voltage is at KOEO then decide if that is the problem, along with the codes. My dad's truck, same thing but the light would flicker and not set a code, so we did the same to his and he mentioned that his is flickering again; ill check it's voltage soon. The vacuum tube was an experiment at first, I wasn't sure if the EGR valve would bake it, but no problem so far

Take care

Reply to
Stephen H

..........just a thought, what if the yellow light "went away" because it simply burnt out?

Reply to
moli

Not on Fords. Chrysler used to do that tho.

CJB

Reply to
CJB