Disappearing transmission fluid

I have a 94 Ranger with a 4.0L. I have had to add a good bit of ATF but I can't see any leaks or puddles under truck. I just checked the engine oil level and it was way overfilled. No I did not put ATF in the wrong place! I drained the engine oil which looked pretty normal ie. no coolant leak. Could the ATF be leaking into the engine somehow.

Reply to
Ken Darnell

the A4LD transmission has a modulator

if it develops a leak, engine vacuum will suck ATF into the intake

however, it is usually burned and doesn't make it to the pan

Reply to
TransSurgeon

TransSurgeon: Thanks for the tip. Where would this modulator be located? Can it be replaced? Thanks again, Ken

Reply to
Ken Darnell

it's towards the back of the right side

it's behind a heat shield, the 'stud-bolt' that holds the modulator clamp also holds the shield, via a nut on the stud that sticks out of the bolt

take off the nut with a 10 mm swivel socket, the front of the shield snaps onto the pan rail

you might have to reach up and over the cross-member from the rear to get to the 'stud-bolt', use a 10 mm deep socket on a 1/4 inch ratchet or a box end

be careful.....DON'T LOSE THE PIN that goes into the end of the modulator, hold it in the new one with some grease

make sure you get the old o-ring out of the case, if it's not on the modulator when you remove it

if it's been sucking oil, replace the hose between the metal line and modulator, and between line and intake

order the modulator from the DEALER, by VIN.......auto parts stores have almost no knowledge of what is needed per application

Reply to
TransSurgeon