F150 Rear Axle Ratio

How can I determine the rear axle ratio on the '89 Ford F150 4x4. It is not on a label on the cover as someone said it should be. I have removed the cover, should I be able to count them?

Reply to
Dan S.

Look at the door tag. It will have an axle code like 19 or H9 (both of these happen to be 3.55). Once you get it, you can check the codes here.

Codes are the same between Bronco and F150.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

If you can count the teeth on the ring gear, AND on the pinion gear, divide the total of the ring by the total of the pinion.

It'll probably be either a 3.08 or a 3.55 rear end, with a 3.07 or a 3.54 front.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Spdloader used his keyboard to write :

Thanks, all. Had it towed a few minutes ago. Changing the axle looked easy enough, but it would be my first, and I need it sooner rather than later.

Reply to
Dan S.

Interesting. The truck looks so much more ample than the Bronco. But, after all, it is only 6-cyl.

Reply to
Dan S.

Make damn sure its replaced with the correct gear ratio or kiss the transfer case good bye.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

on 5/21/2007, Whitelightning supposed :

So, I've got a question, though. Why did the fluid pour out of it after that loud cracking sound. When I opened it, I couldn't see what would have been holding in all of that fluid in the first place.

Reply to
Dan S.

On Mon, 21 May 2007 20:53:37 -0400, Dan S. rearranged some electrons to form:

Ummm....you took the rear cover off and are wondering why the fluid came out? What did you expect to happen?

Reply to
David M

It happens that David M formulated :

No. It came pouring out from the bolted cover after, apparently, the rear end borked. It didn't even leak before the darned thing locked up on me.

Reply to
Dan S.

Dan S. submitted this idea :

OK. Maybe I'm answering my own question here. But, there wasn't a gasket between the housing and the cover. Maybe something from inside hit the cover knocking it loose. I just don't know how it could have held the fluid before without a gasket of some sort.

Reply to
Dan S.

There's not a tag on either differential?

Reply to
Steve Barker