ignition power problem.

OK here's the scoop. I've got an 87 2wd F150 6cyl with 4spd manual tranny. About a week ago, I went to start her up and turned the key. She cranked as usual but once I let go of the key everything died...By that I mean everything that works with the key is dead... I still have headlights, horn, door chime, and doom lights etc... but I nothing else. I figured it was the ignition switch on the column so ... I looked and the dang thing had fallen apart so when I put the new switch in I thought everything would work.... WRONG!.... everything that is suppose to come on with the key is still dead. I've checked the battery, and wairing up to the ignition switch. There is power up to the switch... but from there I don't know where to look. I'm thinking that it could be a fusible link or something like that but I don't know where those are...

go_drastc

The fusible links are at the starter solenoid on the fender next to the battery. They are the wires that look like they have rubber "tags" on them

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

in the older trucks, there was a ballast resistor between the ign key and the coil. this was to limit current to the coil when running. there was a bypass wire from the ignition switch start position and the coil that bypassed the ballast resistor when in the start position. this supplied full power to start. if the ballast resistor was to burn out or not be connected to the ignition switch, the car would start on the bypass wire , but when you let the key back to run , the coil would lose power from the ballast resistor and the engine would die. that means that if you have a ballast resistor in the

1987, that it is dead or there is a bad connection between the ignition run position and the ballast resistor that supplies power to the coil. a simple volt or ohm meter is used to check the connections . old john

Hello, Whitelightning! You wrote on Fri, 25 Aug 2006 02:12:43 GMT:

??>> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

W> The fusible links are at the starter solenoid on the fender next to the W> battery. They are the wires that look like they have rubber "tags" on W> them

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
ajeeperman

Thanks very much for the info. Yes there was a fusible link burnt out. I replaced it and now everything is working again. Thanks again.

Reply to
go_drastc